Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Bay of Curses

A topic by watercolor created Jul 14, 2018 Views: 842 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 8
(+2)

This isn't my first jam, I've done Ludum Dare before with Ren'Py but it is going to be my first time using Unity. I want to do some kind of isometric fishing game and this is what I have so far. It's not much yet.

I'm still learning the asset that works the isometric so I have many challenges ahead as I figure out the in and outs of bringing sprites in, the 2D character controller, layering, Navmesh and lighting and baking.

Host

oh this looks so cool already!! i loooove isometric games and your visual aesthetic is already super interesting! that sounds like a lot of challenges but even if you don't hit all of them i hope you can learn a lot in the next two weeks. best of luck!

(+1)

Alright, so this hasn't been going so well due to issues IRL keeping me from having a lot of computer time and then what time I did get, getting stuck on Animation Controller and more specifically, how to make the sprite face away from the camera. I have the animation set up but not sure how to get it working in actuality.

So I haven't made a whole lot of progress here, a lot of it was just trying to get through the video documentation without getting stuck, half a page of a jump animation and updating my Trello cards with to do list of things I probably won't be able to get to in 2 weeks...

I lost a day to Blue Screens of Death so I'm still stuck on the same issue... this jam is probably going to be a wash for me, I can feel it. No pun intended.

Submitted

I love those tiles, hope you don't abandon this!

(+1)

I'm definitely thinking about continuing this for the group I belong to, Indie Game Jammers: https://www.meetup.com/Indie-Game-Jammers/events/

Turns out, when you're really new and having computer issues, 2 weeks might not be enough time. My mom being sick hasn't done me any favors, not that it is her fault, but my housework kind of doubled in the meantime. On the bright side, I did get Windows 10 installed and working again which is a small miracle. On the tech side, I'm going to be putting in new RAM and a used NVidia card and see if that clears up the BSOD problems I have been having...

I also started animating this in Krita, based on doodles drawn by hand, but I have to finish it. When I got Windows 10 installed, it forced me to delete Linux Mint on my hard drive or it wouldn't install at all. Microsoft is so anti-consumer...

Submitted

It saddens me to hear that. How is your mother?

I also have some problems but after hours of tutorials I can finally move forward, but yes, two weeks are not enough!. It's not going to stay the way I wanted to but I'm going to finish it, I hope your kitty is finished too :)

Take care of your mother, Greetings!

Submitted

This looks really cute so far!! I love the style. I hope you manage to get it finished, even if it takes a bit longer!

(2 edits) (+1)

I actually streamed yesterday some of my progress, which involved a 15 frame (WHY did I draw 15 frames??) for a jump: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/289216671

So, basically, when I installed Windows 10 and got it working, I had to wipe Linux Mint. Unfortunately, I kind of forgot Mint had my Krita jumping animation in it, forcing me to do it in Autodesk Sketchbook instead to get a working jump animation. Note: Autodesk Sketchbook does not currently have opacity sliders in Flipbook animation, nor a magic wand tool to select the flat color of the previous GIF and remove it, so that was extra irritating.

So I had to trace over existing frames just to get them to display.

And I originally drew my keyframes by hand, and put them on my phone before using them as reference.

I'm now currently coloring it in Asesprite, but I expect it to take at least another day for that and another 15 frames as well for the back 3/4 jump animation. I also drew Blue with a fishing pole, but my Samsung camera-phone rotated it wrong so I won't bother posting it.

I was also able to make a lifeguard shack, as pictured above with me struggling to try to apply a Mesh collider probably onto the sprite. If anyone knows how to do that, clue me in, because I am clueless...

I still need to make the bench lighter and change some other minor things about it, but that's kind of dependent on how much time I want to put in. Currently, I only have Blender to deal with the merged OBJ file for the meshcollision so ...that will probably be extra "fun" to deal with, given that I both a) Hate blender and b) Hate using Blender due to its stupidly designed interface and important options hid in TINY SLIDE AWAY PANELS that only appear if you know EXACTLY where to click (A sin TVpaint commits as well... sue me, I might not be an UX designer, but I'm pretty sure important options should always be available in top menu!)

Thank you, Rmice. My mother is currently starting to eat again so that alone is worth it, and we managed to make it to the grocery store, if nowhere else yet (like the bank to fax an important document) but she didn't sleep at all last night? So she's kind of extra grumpy and it keeps me  from feeling free, like I'm always walking on eggshells. It's a hard time for everybody right now.

After the Jam is done, where do people normally post their devblogs at?