Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Composure

A topic by A G Moody created Jul 11, 2016 Views: 253 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

or 'Gather your thoughts'. I'm bad with titles and starting Devlogs on time.

Composure will be a mega-short 3-D 'explore and collect' game built in Unity. I needed up my Cinema 4D game for work, and Unity it a great way to do it!

Story

The player is a hair late for a big important thing at their job. They are in the office courtyard to gather their thoughts- quite literally in this case. There will be 5 items to collect, each trigger a short line or two of 'thoughts' superimposed over the gameplay.

Find all 5, and the game ends (YAY!)

Last game jam I had a ton of sucess writing a story that was somewhat personal. I wracked my brain for a while to figure out how to get a 3-D unity game to feel 'personal' to me. But I think I finally have something that feels very personal, a short little reflection on feeling trapped with your current job.

Gameplay

First person 'collector' game. I plan to expand upon the basic Unity 'roll a ball' tutorial. Given my hella' limited time, I think it gives a strong base, but not so much that everything is done for me.

Visuals

3-D low poly, with inkwash textures. Okay I gotta be honest here...the textures are preaty far down the list of priorities.

Unity Chalenges I've calculated so far

1. Getting the First person camera to trigger things

2. UI message after pickup

3. Mouse event to remove UI message + timer

4.Music stings! (object pickup + endgame)

5.Endgame screen trigger

6. UI counter

7. Trigger for final item

Plus the 5 items, and courtyard models, I'll update a log with a more detailed list/look at my level dummies later

What I've done so far

I may be posting a devlog well into the jam, but I've been prepping for it for some time. For the past couple of weeks I've been teaching myself Modeling and UV mapping in C4D, importing them to Unity, as well as basic Unity techniques. I haven't gotten to importing animations/rigging for games but I don't think I'd have time for that anyway. So I'm focusing on the engine itself and models/textures as a 2nd priority.

The game is short enough that even with the massive distraction of Pokemon GO, I think I can get a working prototype done with at least all the models done, and do the textures/UVs at a later date.

Host

it's fantastic that you've got a really solid prediction of scope and difficulties you plan to wrestle with--best of luck with conquering those!

Haha...going by how today went, i feel like I bit off a bit more than I can chew. Unity is a DENSE beast.

(1 edit)

Day 3 (or Day 1 of Unity madness)

I got the FPS camera to work, turns out it is NOT really possible to extrapolate from a 3rd person camera. But Unity does have some prefabs to use.

So I used one of those and slightly modified a ray-casting script to make the objects 'disapear' when clicked on.

Learned quite a lot about troubleshooting code, but I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not realy learning the nitty gritty of the raycasting script. It works, but I don't really understand how.

So tomorrow my goal is to pick apart the raycasting script, tidy it up a bit for better use with prefabs, and get a UI to trigger when a box is picked up!

(also gifs...it's a boring devlog that has no gifs..I'm just real really tired)