SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Are Tabletop Games Allowed?

A topic by Beth and Angel Make Games created Aug 10, 2022 Views: 211 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

Hi there! πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™€οΈ 

I'm a tabletop game creator (physical tabletop, not digital) and I've always been curious about making a physical metroidvania roguelike game. I am aware that making a game that requires people to print and maybe even cut/sleeve things means a much, much smaller percentage of people will play or rate it, but it might be the inspiration I need to finally make one. With that said, I absolutely understand if this is limited to video games :D

Either way, I hope everyone has an awesome time with this jam! πŸ™Œ 

- ✨Beth

(+2)

I have no idea how you would do that (metroidvania is, but it's nature, a 2D video game), but it would be interesting to see you try!  I mean, if you don't mind not 'winning' then I see no reason why you couldn't, as long as you give a detailed explanation of why this would qualify as a 'Metroidvania'

(+1)

Actually, I can think of a few ways that, while not a Metroidvania in definition, you could make a non-digital game what works.  Metroidvania's are usally defined by their branching, backtracking, interconnected maps.  if you could make a tool to DESIGN those kinds of maps, or a game that could be defined by that, then i think most people will let it slide

Yeah exactly! I really love the idea of experimenting with what a tabletop game can be, and I feel like the backtracking, branching, gaining items that allow you to access previously impossible-to-reach areas, etc are possible in a tabletop format. I'm not sure HOW yet exactly lol, but it's definitely something I've been curious about toying with for a while (I'm a video gamer at heart and love roguelikes/metroidvanias especially, so bringing those into the tabletop world really excites me)