Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I have the game ready for polishing!

A topic by Eli Haun created Mar 10, 2022 Views: 112 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

So, I have been working diligently on my little jam entry.  And, as of 5 minus ago, I have a WORKING game!  I have test ran it to make sure everything is working, and as far as I can tell it seems to work, from load to game over.  I know it needs to have some tweaks (the third boss is a placeholder, and most animations are REALLY blocky.  also, there are NO backgrounds!  But it is playable.  If you want to check it out in its... rough state, I would LOVE feedback.  I made a download key, so that it wouldn't be public yet but people could try it out.  I also need to clean up the page.  but regardless, I'm excited!  

https://elihaun.itch.io/the-potion-witch/download/RxAUhsTVDXNsznRz3Z6KOaSACXzHTz...

Things that I know need to be worked on:

1) a tutorial.  self explanatory (or it will be once I have a tutorial!)
2) swim speed needs to be WAY higher.
3) The third boss is just placeholder art.  
4) need more art in general.  Black corridors are boring, and it needs a way to differentiate each area for visual reasons
5) the story is non existent, and I need to make talking to the old witch a requirement to start
6) the hallway leading to the second boss is just a tube.  I plan to have a little puzzle, but it is not necessary for the game ATM

Submitted

Can i say that those Mushroom Attack from the Mushroom at the end looks a bit like öhm male genitals?

besides that, at some point i was lost and didn't  know were i am. The Swimming didn't work out for me i just died, so i guess i didn't find the Objective to unlock Swimming?

I don't like the Control Settings, overall its hard to use the Keys and my left Hand is kinda cramping after 15 Minutes.

Since you have 3 attacks you might wanna consider 1 - 2 - 3 to switch between the Attacks so you me as the Player doesn't have to mess around with the relative inaccessible X Key. Then i could decide 1 for Fire 2 for Cold 3 for i guess its a Lightning or Poisen Blob ?

the Floating and Jumping on Space is also totally fine and feels cool in game.

It also feels weird that you can't jump on the Mushrooms when u haven't defeated the first Boss. And even if you have defeated the Boss if you stay right next to the Mushroom you cant jump out of it.

Submitted

Didn't notice the dicks, but now I cant! lol.  maybe logs or a rockslide would be better?

I don't know a good way to add a map in game, but plan to have it on the webpage

I plan to have a 'gate' like on the mushroom, but I have not added it yet.  you automatically get swimming when you kill the Lizard. I plan to have a textbox popup let you know you can now swim, but have not figured out how to do that yet.  (NOTE: different attacks do different damage at different stages of the newt boss fight.  When the HP bar is yellow, lighting does more, but when it gets to red fire does more.  I believe water heals it.  the third boss you have to hit it with the ice, then switch to the fire.  otherwise, it does no damage). the third and forth boss have rooms that you HAVE to have powers to use to exit.  

You just hold space to swim up, but only after you get the ability. I plan to make the swim a LOT faster though

As for the controls I agree.  I was going to have key binding, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to do it.  I am new to this engine (and game making in general).  Also, it is lightning (I was going to have plants, but lighting made more sense), ice, and fire. I'm going to change the UI for that today

Thanks for the complement on the jumping.  that was the second thing I added, and it took me a bit, since the 'default' platformer controls in gdevelop seem WAY too floaty!

I have not noticed the issue with the jump pads before, but I literally speedrun the game (I have beat it in about 4-5 minuets).  I will look into it if I have time.  If not, I will probably put a textbox saying "you cant use this jump pad yet' or something.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  I will try to look into as much of these issues as I can!