SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Four Queens

A topic by Naryunic created Apr 19, 2020 Views: 204 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

Hello! Naryunic here.

So, I finally get to make a topic and perhaps introduce myself a bit.

I wanted to develop games ever since I was about 11 years old, and frankly, lately my motivation to make games declined because I have some severe priority problems and can't decide what to do. I finished only one game before, which flopped, and thus somewhat lowered my self esteem to the point I wanted to quit. (All because, most likely, I didn't spend much time polishing the controls of my game)

One of my friends mentioned this jam to me, and at first, I just dismissed the thought of making something for a game jam. "No way, I don't want that extra pressure and a deadline..." I thought, but somehow, I'm now here. I didn't really ever join any game jam except one a long time ago.

For the game I decided to make a little more elaborate visual novel with the option to change the course of the story by summoning queens with elemental powers.

There are four queens in the story: 

Alby, the Diamond Queen (Light)

Puppy, the Ruby Queen (Fire)

Nell, the Sapphire Queen (Water)

Lilli, the Emerald Queen (Wood/Plants)

So, for example, the story goes as normal, but at ANY block of text, you can click a crest and pick a queen to summon, 

Like this, let's say you are exploring a place on the world map, and there is a canyon in your way. One can't cross it normally.

But, by summoning the Emerald Queen, she can create a bridge with vines/wood so you can cross it. The selection needs to happen at a specific treshold of messages, but I'll try to not make it too difficult.

Likewise, you can summon the Sapphire Queen in hope she can fill the canyon with water, but she says that to fill a whole canyon would need a lot of magical power and leaves with her "affection" meter decreasing slightly.

Or even, you could perhaps summon the Ruby Queen to burn the bridge that the Emerald Queen created, and anger both queens effectively afterwards!

I hope I can finish this game in time. I have a bad history of unfinished projects but I have a lot of motivation that's unlikely to run out much in just less than 14 days by now.

And, I also made an intro. I will try to put the video in the game in the beginning.

1) There are some minor errors in the video that I can still fix, but I will focus on creating the game instead as first priority.

2) Youtube butchered the video quality a lot... The source video file is crisp though!

3) There is another reference to this idea in one of my older videos. Don't worry, that demo was made in Ren'py a long time ago. I started this game as a brand new project solely for this game jam. But one can say it's a recycled game concept. Assets and everything is being made now.

This is a solo project and I'll be trying to make original music if I'll have enough time for it. I'm not the most skilled musician in town, but I have some experience with composition. I'm using PixiJS to make this game, including the visual novel systems from scratch.

Good luck to everyone, and hopefully I'll make this thing in time.

Submitted

Keep it up! I like the video, looking forward to seeing where this goes! One of the reasons I started doing jams was to enforce deadlines on myself, and not obsess over quality. I succeeded on the deadline part. Still grappling with my perfection obsession, but I'm slowing learning to "let it go..."

I think just making stuff, anything at all, is what's important. I wouldn't worry so much about "finishing" in time, and think more about "submitting SOMETHING" by the deadline. Even if it's just a prototype or still needs a few updates, getting something out there is what counts. I'll be rooting for ya!

(1 edit)

Yes, that's right. I'm not really saying it's my style to do game jams and chances are I won't join another one in a long time no matter how this one turns out for me, but at least I'm having fun right now. I'll do my best nevertheless

Also thanks, and, I might be the second(?) one saying this in this community but I really adore that profile pic.

Submitted

I love the concept! It seems ambitious to build from scratch in 11 days, but I guess that depends on your skill and schedule. I second what ShibeyFaceGames has said; even a proof of concept build would be interesting to try out.

It is... my schedule is very flexible so I can work on it a lot. However, visual novel system isn't that hard to implement, I've actually done it in another unfinished project of mine and it didn't take too long from what I recall, so I'll be using that as a reference and upgrade it. The issue here is populating the game with the story and messages themselves. It actually surprised me before, but writing story and implementing it into a game takes a lot of time as well.