Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Best way to upload to Itch.io?

A topic by Bryant James created Nov 04, 2021 Views: 365 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3

I've never uploaded a story to Itch.io. Whats the best way to upload? I marked it as a book, but the upload options are the same as game uploads.

Host

The easiest way to upload is to make a PDF out of it; most popular writing tools will have that as an output or export option. If not, you can easily make a google doc out of it and export to PDF from there! That'll make a file that can easily be uploaded to itch and then read by other folks. ^^

There are other compatible formats for different devices (like ePub for most tablet readers) but those can require specific tools to create. Still, it's worth it to make those extra versions for better accessibility if you can manage it. And itch will accept as many different formats as you want for any single thing you make, too! Best of luck! <3

Thank you! I figured export to PDF was my route lol, but wanted to be sure. Are there any formats that will render in browser (so viewers don't need to download the file?)

Host

I'm actually not sure! I've always done PDF and ePub with my own writings. I think unless you make a "game" like an interactive novel that lets you navigate the text, it'll always end up being a thing you download?

Jam HostSubmitted

If you want to do more with your entry try the program caliber (epub manager), it can also be used to publish pdfs and epubs (works best if you import a word-doc/gdoc instead of a pdf. It can also beautify the upload as part of the conversion process and it makes adding cover art really easy.