Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Squirrelbot's Devlog

A topic by squirrelbot created Dec 21, 2015 Views: 637 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7

Welcome to the devlog!

The general idea for the game is that you command a ship. You can hire different crew members, upgrade equipment, and go on missions. Missions will involve choices, skill checks, and combat.

(1 edit)

Day 1:

I got started a bit late, but that's okay, I have a month.

Today I wrote an obscene amount of UI code, as there are a lot of menus to click through. Luckily, I programmed it so they're easy to make. I implemented a basic save game feature, which is important so I don't have to pass all game data to each new screen. A state stack was also created, allowing for pushing and popping screens. There's no gameplay yet, but I hope to add mission scripting tomorrow.

Awesome stuff. Good luck.

Day 2:

I began today by adding crew editing. Up to three crew members can be hired at a time, and you have the ability to swap them out.

I also added a Lua based scripting system, and now missions play a lot like a text adventure. You can print text, request a boolean answer, and ask multiple choice questions from scripts. Later, skill checks and combat will be initiated here.

Day 3:

I added skill checks today. Now you can roll a 1 and let bad things happen. Just like everything else, skill checks are activated by a script.

I started working on combat, but didn't get far. Characters can carry weapons, and what they do is defined. I've just ran into a brick wall on how to activate the right weapons, at the right times, on the right characters. I may stop with the standard turn-based combat, and do something weird. Maybe minigames for diffrent skill checks? But it can be started from a script!

Day 8?

I think that's right. I finally got back to working on my game after all the Christmas madness. I decided against combat, so now I'm basically left with a text adventure with RPG elements. I don't know.

Everything that's there is working pretty well, so I made a demo mission. The scripts end up with an insane number of if statements, but that's why they're scripts. I intend to add skill upgrading tomorrow, as well as selection of missions. Money and mission rewards might as work their way in.

Day 30:

Where did time go? I've had none of it.

Today I realized the game was probably not going to be finished. I tried to upload the source to github, so someone can learn from it. But just to finish me off, the world managed to delete all my code. Oh well.