SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Dev Log: Cyberheist

A topic by siepiau created Sep 22, 2018 Views: 510 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 20
Submitted (1 edit)
  • My 2nd time participating. Hoping to do better this time round
  • Started new full-time job recently and was too tired to work on the jam until the weekend
  • Only less than 2 days left, but I'll be using some core scripts and base assets I've been developing since Jam I (check it out here). Aside from the base code and re-using some old assets, the gameplay and story will be brand new (though somehow my themes are always cyber related ^^;)
  • Keeping fingers crossed that I will be able to complete (my computer hasn't been very stable lately)

Submitted (1 edit)
  • Building the level, layout based on a quick pencil sketch on paper
  • I will reuse some furniture from existing projects
  • Rooms are dark because there is no indoor lighting yet

Submitted
  • Placed autodoor prefabs
  • Added indoor lighting

Submitted
  • Adapted city background from project [TBD]

Submitted
  • What's that on the wall? ;)

Submitted
  • Slept for 4 hours
  • Did a bunch of stuff (building colliders, occlusion check for drone, some rendering optimizations...)
  • To do: the rest of the game ^^;;;
Submitted
  • Still not happy with the drone controls but it basically works. Decided not to waste more time on fixing all collision breaking issues.
  • Adapting the guard AI from Pandora 3chotomy into the game. Looking at the bugs and limitations made me realize how far I still have to go to achieve decent AI
Submitted
  • Basic elements of the game are connected and mostly working (player control, drone control, NPC guards, gun play, object pickup, main game environment...)
  • Now need to add content (characters, props...), flavor (story, events, puzzles...) and hopefully fun!
Submitted
  • A quick title screen. Trying hard to produce content but still a lot to do and running out of time...

Submitted

Thanks to the organizers for extending the submission date ^^!!

Cara, muito interessante seu projeto ... Muito promissor aqui no JAM e  fora dele também! Qual o motor que está usando?

Submitted

Muito obrigado! I’m using Unity engine. I’ve been working on an RPG system since the first Lartu jam ^^

Submitted

Work day over, back to jamming...

Submitted
  • I don't have a lot of time on weekdays due to my day job and long transit times, and there's still a lot of content/gameplay design and implementation to do. Gameplay will be split between controlling the player character (which is already fairly developed) and controlling the drone (which  requires a lot more new coding). I foresee that drone controls will be functional but not polished
  • This time, the main character is female and infiltrating in disguise. The mosaic in the screenshot is there because I just grabbed stuff from the internet as placeholder portraits. I'll have to create proper portraits at some point in time. Thankfully I'll probably only need 2 faces. Dialogue is mostly cut scene conversation between the player and her off-screen handler. On-screen NPCs will use speech bubbles (a la the Pandora Arena mini-game) and won't have portraits
  • As for story, I have a general plot but there's a lot of adaptation along the way. The premise has been setup as planned. We'll see where it goes from there as the deadline draws nearer XD

Submitted
  • Starting to feel the effects of lack of sleep (9am to 9pm = day job + transit, about 2-4 hours of jam time per week night)
  • Wasn't able to do much tonight except to bash out the challenge maze and add some simple scripts to make it functional. No time to make anything look pretty or cool

Submitted
  • Pretty much conked out after getting home. Too tired to get anything done tonight :(
Submitted

Partially recharged and back in content creation mode!

Submitted

OK. because of the deadline I have submitted the game which is playable to the end, but buggy and the content is very far from finished.

I shall be fixing bugs and updating the info for a while before I get some much needed sleep ^^;;

Submitted

Though there's still a lot of improvements to make, most of the glaring bugs have been dealt with and the game can now be played from beginning to end with hopefully no big issues. 

Please enjoy the game and feel free to post your feedback and suggestions!

Submitted

Post-jam thoughts and comments:

• I didn't finish my game for Lartu's Jam 1, so I was more motivated to complete for Jam 2
  • Joined early but started late on Sep 22 (Saturday), mainly because I started working in a new job. Thankfully I had continued developing my code and assets since the Jam 1  so I didn't have to start from nothing (I didn't have a job back then so I was in full-time indie development mode for some time. You can follow my progress there by checking out the Pandora mini-games)
  • I used Modo to model and animate. I output to OBJ for models, FBX if animated. Here's a screenshot of the main environment for CyberHeist:

• The character portraits were sketched on paper using a pencil, photographed on my phone and colored in Photoshop. Very rushed and unpolished, but I was short on time so didn't do any cleanup ^^;;

• I managed to implement a narrative this time, with the opening sequence following very closely to my initial concept. Made possible this time because of the dialogue and cutscene systems I had been developing post-Jam 1. The conversations are defined in CSV documents using Open Office Calc. Simple method and tedious at times, but fast for me and it works ^^
  • I knew the starting story from the get-go, but only came up with the ending during the last few hours before submission
  • I added music, which makes a huge difference to the mood. Thanks to Avery Alexander and Eric Matyas for their awesome music and generosity!
  • Overall, I'm glad I managed to "finish" making the mini-RPG. I was still too ambitious and a lot of gameplay could not make it into the game but at least the main storyline was carried out to the end. Still tons of room for improvement but I feel like I'm making progress as a game developer ^^v
Submitted

Jam 1 and Jam 2 comparison

Jam 1 screenshot (Mar 2018):

Jam 2 screenshot: