Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress Thread: My Untitled Train Game

A topic by Todd Mitchell created Jun 20, 2019 Views: 215 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
HostSubmitted(+1)

I've contributed to a VR project before, but this is my first full 3D game from scratch and I'm having a great time with it!

The idea is to have a toy-looking train ride through a little town and stop at stations to pick up and drop off cargo (probably represented by toy blocks or something) to earn points before time runs out. I'm thinking if I play my cards right, this will be fun for kids or adults because starting and stopping the train is easy, but there will be a little strategy involved in getting a high score. 

Right now I have a train following a track which I think looks good enough to give a toy train feel. I'm about to start working on additional train cars to hold cargo and then I'll start working on stations to stop at. Then I'll need to put together a UI and do score-keeping, then I can work on audio, VFX, and making things prettier until time runs out. I think the scope is going to be just right for the timeline and if I fall a little short I should have no problem stopping with something playable. Really happy with it so far! 

Looks good. Love the shadow!

HostSubmitted

I lost some time trying to recreate that cool animated texture you see in the drop-off zones in Crazy Taxi but realized it doesn't really look right from a top-down perspective, so I went with a much less interesting fading box (for now) so we could get past the stopping at stations step. Tomorrow I should have cargo transfer done and the rest will be refining gameplay and polishing things up! 

HostSubmitted

I know I've been quiet, but I've been working! I'm happy to say, thanks to prefabs and parenting features in Unity, the cargo system is coming along! Here's a successful pickup test. It doesn't look like much, but getting the scripting and setup right with all these moving parts is a big deal! 

Time to add the other stations and implement drop-offs!

HostSubmitted

Cargo system is complete. Few if any technical hurdles remain. Time to make it pretty and fun!