Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How should participants submit concepts?

A topic by Hasmile created Apr 22, 2022 Views: 298 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 3
(+1)

How should participants submit concepts?

Jam Host(+1)

Howdy mate!

On the main Greenlight Jam page, each of the four sprints (Ideation, Prototype, Production, and Polish & Release) have a link to a different itch.io jam page where the result from each sprint should be submitted one-by-one each week during the jam.

Use this link to submit your game concept for the first Ideation sprint. This will be a rough pre-production plan, including any ideas, concept art, storyboards, design docs or design pillars, mood boards, perhaps a plan of how the available time will be utilized in each subsequent sprint, a description of the tools you'll use, etc.

This first sprint phase will be a good opportunity to assemble teammates by pitching your concept to each other, with a comfy full-week to do it!

However, we will be launching a Discord server for this jam soon, which will serve as the ideal location for team formation, allowing for faster, more informal file and image sharing and easy informal pitching. I'll repost that server link when it goes live here!

(+1)

I don’t mean this. I mean the format in which it has to be submitted, like do i need to submit actual documentation files as itch.io game entry?

Jam Host(+1)

Ah, I see. Well the short answer is however you want. Just as you can deliver a game in whatever package you want (Windows .exe, HTML5 package, Android .apk, Mac .app, etc.) for whatever platforms you want to prioritize, even though HTML or Windows are recommended to hit the most players, you can naturally publish concept materials in whatever format is best for your game.

This is genuinely just whatever files you'd make for yourself and your team to brainstorm your game concept to yourselves; all you're doing is exposing your process.

If you're an art-driven team, maybe you just make several pieces of concept art and upload those to an itch page as screenshots, or if you're used to presenting games in a pitch document-like format, maybe you upload a PowerPoint file that goes through the overall plan for the game. If you're a hands-on person who likes writing pen-and-paper notes or making a dream board of sticky notes to brainstorm, take a picture of that!

However, on average I'd expect most people to write their concepts in a Google Document (especially with a team), perhaps with some reference material images or links embedded, or concept art embedded within the document. Then you could simply link to that Google Document, and/or upload it as a Word or PDF.

Anything is fine. As long as it's a file(s) other people can open and examine, it can be in whatever format. However, if you want it to be easily seen by as many people as possible to share your process, I'd recommend Google Docs and/or Google Slides.

Submitted(+1)

So, theoretically, one could make a single game page on itch — and then provide links for each separate part of the Jam?

I guess what I’m still wondering is whether the Prototype, the Production Build, and the Final Game will be uploaded as separate games on itch — or if we can create a single game and somehow create links within that page for each of these individual steps.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Great question!

You could use a single page to upload each, but we ask that you keep the artifacts from the first jams available and not replace them when uploading newer versions. We'll put together a guide for how to do this, thanks for suggesting it! 

HostSubmitted(+1)

Update- We've created a guide for how to submit to the jam that we'll be releasing during the kickoff event! 

Submitted(+1)

Awesome! Thanks!