Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Possible Discord?

A topic by Lily created May 05, 2018 Views: 432 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5

out of curiosity, is there going to be a discord server for this jam?

HostSubmitted

Hi Lily. I hadn't even thought about it to be honest. I've only signed up to Discord in the past few days myself, so I'm not sure what it's all about really. What are the benefits of using Discord? Genuine question... as I say I've only just signed up to use it, so don't know that much about it. :-) Thanks.

sure! once you create the server, you can instantly send updates regarding the jam and if anyone has a question, you can answer it right away and multiple people can view it at the same time! it's really useful and really handy, especially if you wanted to reach multiple at the same time. itch.co is good but perhaps discord could be easier to maintain.

another thing is that you can create different channels for others to chat in and maybe make friends with each other and get to know each other or even exchange ideas!

HostSubmitted

Thanks Lily. I wonder if it would be useful for team building too? Someone has suggested Crowd Forge for team building, but I don't know if having things across a few sites is good or bad.

Hi @AshGary,

Usually, jams are hosted on itch.io, but they also use Crowd Forge and Discord too.

Crowd Forge is indeed very efficient for team building and Discord is useful to communicate. The idea with your Discord server is that it will features multiple channels. For example, you will have a "team building" channel, a "announcements" channel, a "project updates" channel, a "ressource" channel, etc. Moreover, at the end of the jam, it helps people to share their project with other participants and get feedback !

Here is a game jam's discord server example if you want to see what I'm talking about : https://discord.gg/x2n6PBE It was created for the HEART JAM (https://itch.io/jam/heartjam) and has since become a server for participants to share their day to day projects.

I do agree with Lily, a discord server would be nice! It helps a lot to create teams and share project updates instead of creating a new post on itch.io every time.

and it also makes the jam more friendly since you can talk with the other participants!

HostSubmitted(+2)

Hi Zgar & Lily. I'm just catching up with this. We'll get something set up for this over the next week. I'm just waiting to hear if someone else is setting something up. Don't want to confuse people by having 2 different servers. Thanks.

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Hi Lily & Zgar. I'm still not sure about this. My main concern is that it would mean that conversations about the jam could end up being split between 3 sites, with participants expecting everything to be happening here and potentially missing out on useful discussions elsewhere. Some participants who have signed up to this jam I know are new to jams in general and I'd like to make participation as straight forward as possible - I'm thinking that keeping most of the discussion on one site (here) is a way of doing that. I'm also wondering how I'll manage keeping an eye on what's going on in all 3 sites! I'll be organising a few physical events around this jam too around the day job which will also be a focus for me. If I (or someone else) could easily feed back the conversations between the 3 sites that would be the best bet. I will have a proper think over the weekend about this.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Hi. The Discord server has been set up over at. Thanks for the suggestion: https://discord.gg/ZppyJE