Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Strange behavior with the game in the Browser

A topic by Lukan Peixe created Aug 14, 2023 Views: 116 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

During testing for my game, one of our devs on the team was experiencing a short character jump issue (which blocked stage 1 progress). Thing that only happened in Chrome, but not in Brave. Yesterday I played my game on the itch-oi page about 3 times, and this morning too, but now that I went to play to take some prints, the character just got the short jump too.

Is there anything related to the fact that the game is running in the browser that could be causing this problem?

Extra information:

• This problem never happened in test builds of the engine itself. 
  • The jump mechanic is handled by the platform behavior and a few more tweens timer calculating the jump severity.

If you think this is a more appropriate conversation for the Gdevelop forum, please let me know.

Edit: The game is not running even the built version right now. On my wife's and other friends' PCs the jumping problem doesn't occur.

Submitted

Since the problem also happened in the offline build of the game, and I have noticed that it affects other mathematical calculations very significantly, I decided to take the topic to the Gdevelop forums. This is something that has me very concerned, not being able to trust the integrity of the implemented mechanics, being a subject that I will want to discuss for a long time beyond this Gamejam.

https://forum.gdevelop.io/t/strange-behavior-generated-by-hardware/49380

Submitted

I've had a similar issue with menu displays, and it's a bit puzzling that this bug seems to affect only some people and not everyone.

Perhaps it's tied to screen resolution or even the specific web browser they're using ?

It's a bit of a mystery, especially considering that when I'm working with the Gdevelop game engine on my computer, everything runs smoothly ( even when I adjust the game window size during play, it adapts perfectly )...

I can't say for certain whether you'll encounter these menu glitches on my official game page ( https://xigame.itch.io/switch ) to see what I mean.

However, I did manage to find a workaround by exporting the game as a ".exe" file ( which I placed on a different page due to some restrictions during the game jam : https://xigame.itch.io/switch-exe ).

It could be worth giving it a shot to see if it works for you as well !

Submitted

In your case, I experimented the bug on mobile, going back and clicking "restore game" seems to "fix" it.

Submitted

Alright, thank you for this feedback.

It's quite puzzling that the page occasionally loads with bugs, considering it's the same game with the same source files...

I hope you were able to enjoy my game, especially the time invested in making it mobile-compatible ( getting the double touch to work smoothly was quite a challenge, and I had to create a special extension for it ) !

PS : Out of curiosity, which level did you manage to reach ( it seem a little harder on phone so I'm curious ) ?

Submitted (1 edit)

I see, it's a bizarre situation. My case is even more intriguing, because my computer ran the game normally at 10:00 am, and then at 4:00 pm (without restarting the computer or installing anything) the game stopped working correctly.

(here the menus of your game worked normally)

Submitted

It's really strange, I hope the team behind GDevelop will be able to explain the issue and find a solution.

It seems like our games aren't the only ones affected by these display issues when released on itch...

Submitted

I've submitted a game for the Gdevelop 3d Jam that uses an API in the background. It was mainly the core of the game. Without it, the game could never be finished/experienced. Everything worked perfectly, not only on preview, but also my test builds. When I submitted to itch.io, the browser version didn't work. I knew it was that API calls were not working, but I couldn't diagnose further. The game didn't work for anyone. My advice is to take 1 day to entirely to test the in browser experience on itch.io, as it is the main source of players. We don't have many tools to find about what's going on itch.io or a debug mode AFAIK.

Submitted

I even made some decisions taking into account my friend's buggy version, however, the fact that his computer runs the normal game and mine, which is now having a problem, makes testing not enough.

Anyway, I'll get into the habit of submitting the game to itch.io more often, I also almost didn't manage to sign up for JAM because of problems I had in the last 10 minutes of the event, anyway, that's good advice, thanks .