Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

No rate for rate. Please. Sticky

A topic by HelperWesley created 32 days ago Views: 463 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Jam Host(+5)

I've seen rate for rate spamming ruin the scoring of jams in the past, and I'd like to see a fair and honest jam here.

It's alright to ask someone to play your game if you've played, rated, and gave feedback to their game. But blanket "rate for rate" callouts can really mess with ratings as people try to collect as many ratings as they can without playing/having their own game played.

If I find people posting blanket "rate for rate" posts here, they will be removed. If I find too much of that happening, the community tab will be removed entirely.

Submitted(+2)

Any "rate for rate" callout would be an instant ignoring of the person's project for me. Similar how "sub for sub?" on youtube automatically makes me have negative interest in the other person's channel.

Submitted

One day some one said to me "if I sub to you can you sub to me?"

Submitted(+1)

I’m being as honest and constructive as I can be and I expect the same from those that play review and rate mine. Just because I give you 10/10 doesn’t mean I expect the same in return. Same goes the other way don’t give someone that has a great game a 1/10 because they were honest and fair to your rating. So have fun be respectful and rate the games accordingly give reasons to why the game is bad or good and where can they improve. Don’t spam. It’s not fair and its more work for the judges.

Submitted(+3)

Contestants have spent a lot of time playing games. I think it's normal to invite each other to play their own games. However, blind praise and blind scoring cannot improve game problems and improve one's development capabilities.

I will play as many other people's games as possible, find problems, and give suggestions. Although it may make the author unhappy, I think this can help each other improve!

Submitted(+1)

I am on the same level with you dude.

Submitted(+1)

Aww man these guys are unfair and i kinda feel bad to the others tho

game jam supposed to be fun and showing skills and experience not begging for rating,
as i said  "win or lose it doesn't matter at least you join for the best experience and fun"

Submitted

100% agree. Remember by doing community votes you help the judges pick out the best of the best and make their decisions easier. It’s their game jam but we are ones that uplift each other with honesty, fairness and respect for each others ideas. The we more do things correctly the more the engine can grow and get recognized as a good game engine. So many hidden gems in this jam that are over shadowed by lazy and dishonest ratings. It is a competition not a support a creator. Imagine how something like Idols would be if bad singers were given the same ratings as the good ones because someone was popular on Youtube or Tiktok

Submitted(+1)

rate for rate might mean for someone “play my game and give honest rating and ill do the same“, its not necessarily rate spamming but yeah this type of posts should be formulated differently and specify what kind of rating is expecting so not all rate for rate posts to be deleted

Submitted

I think its more about give honest feedback and ratings. You right it should be formulated differently. It’s just a matter of not begging for someone for a 5 star rating because I gave you a 5 star rating without actually playing their game. So yes ask for your game to be played after a comment and rate theirs nobody is saying don’t do that.

Submitted(+1)

tru

Submitted

Hey,

A bit off topic, but is there an image or gif I can include at the beginning of my game to show that it was made for this jam?

Thanks.

Jam Host (1 edit) (+1)

We don't have anything made for that, but feel free to snag the title art on the jam page and use it for the opening scene in your game. 👍

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Have always wondered whether the infrastructure exists on itch to determine whether or not commenters have actually played the game. Of course, it wouldn't be a perfect fix, but have always thought that this would be a good system to implement to ensure more fairness. Have also thought that as part of the Jam, every submitter should be assigned 5 random games to review before their games are considered eligible for winning. Small time investment for the developers and ensures even the smallest games get some representation. 

Submitted

I like this idea. I agree so many good games don’t get seen. That is why I always try and recommend games to game jam reviewers. It’s honest work.

Submitted

ive seen lots of sub-sub on youtube comments, but something that is competitive and have prizes is no good.