Jobs
Tags

AOM6 - Progress

A topic by Hairein created Oct 03, 2016 Views: 554 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (12 edits)

"Assault On Metaluna 6" - Game

Hi all,

my entry is a Zaxxon-style 2D isometric scrolling shooter using C#/Monogame, Photoshop/GraphicsGale for the Art, Tiled for the levels and various standard itch.io SFX and music tools.

After Day 1 & 2, the basic game structure is up and the various game screens and the preliminary content is setup.

With Day 3, UI and menu navigation was added to all screens. Also, some enemy structures and aircraft have been drawn and animated partially implemented.

Day 4, about 3 hours worth, was just used to create the map item system used by everything on the map (enemies, structures, effects, projectiles).

Day 5 brought a lot of bugfixing the terrain collision, which sadly, didn't work by the end of the time.

Day 6 came with the player shooting and various types of explosions needed depending on what gets hit in the levels. Also, some code refactoring was done to make implementing the enemies and their shooting easier.

On Day 7, the player/terrain collision and enemy structure and ground force destruction was implemented. The scoring for that was also done. The framework for 15 levels and the move from level to level was coded with the game being lost when all lives are gone.

With Day 8 the ground enemy shooting and Game Pad control was implemented though the number of levels was reduced to 5 from the inital 15 to give me more time to design them and account for the lack of enemy variety which would have needlessly stretched the gameplay but doesn't bring anything new to justify doing so. Sadly, due to lack of time, there won't be any air enemies or bosses in.

Day 9 is for final adjustments, the SFX (no music though) as well as the packaging and submission. Apart from the SFX there are no new features planned for the last day.

I'll am tracking my development progress for the game here as well as providing a game page http://www.micahkoleoso.de/?page_id=559 for it at my site with further information and downloads after the jam. Also, I'm streaming development evenings (CET+1) at my Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/hairein.

There will be a Windows version submitted here at the end of the jam. I'm hoping to publish builds for MacOS and Linux soon after that.

Here are some current screenshots stretched to 320 pixels resolution, therefore with a slight blur, but the game will have a configurable window size with appropriate crispy zooming of the content:

Title

Title Screen

Help

HelpScreen

Ingame 1

Ingame 1 Screen

Ingame 2

Ingame 2 Screen

Ingame 3

Ingame 3Screen

Configure

Configure Screen

Game Win

Game Win Screen

Game Loss

Game Loss Screen

Good luck and have fun all!

-Hairein

Submitted

Nice idea and gfx!
I played a lot of Zaxxon back in the days. :)
Keep it going!

Submitted (2 edits)

Very nice, it's awesome how you can do isometric with only 3+1 colors. Congratulations.

Loved the HUD, looks very thin, usefull and armonious with the picture.

Submitted

Thanks! The limitations are the hardest and sweetest parts ;-)

I would prefer to work with an artist but I do enjoy doing the drawings myself.

Submitted (1 edit)

That's it!

Game done and uploaded... Have fun all for the time remaining on the event.

I'm looking forward to trying out all the games here which will be submitted.

Yeah!