SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jamblog #1 - Starting Out!

A topic by Secresteyn created 26 days ago Views: 178 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Howdy Folks!

I will be entering this jam with a small and focused project. I've released two small prototype games this year and gained valuable feedback and experience from engaging with other indies.

Having spent a long time working on prototypes in the dark and finding out far too late that they are not fun or engaging I've decided to change how I work on my projects. One of my main goals for 2024 is to enter as many game jams as my calendar allows.

Initially, I was aiming to release one project a month for a total of 12 gamejam entries in 2024.

I have decided to employ a more methodical approach to entering jams so that I am better able to manage my workload.

I tend to cycle through personal projects, work for others and skill development courses with a pretty regular rhythm. I have found that keeping a pulse on game jams and carving out small portions of my larger projects as jam entries helps me maximize my productivity and keep my motivation high.

My goal with my first project was to create a presence on Itch.Io and release something.
My goal with my second project was to address some of the failings of my first stab at horror and make something scarier!

I had mixed results with my first two projects. I enjoyed the process and always enjoy working with like-minded and passionate artists.

Setting realistic goals and scoping my entries correctly is a skill I am actively developing.

I look forward to sharing my third attempt at making something fun for you to play.

Wish me luck!

Submitted

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you make for this jam!

(+1)

A fellow horror dev; I look forward to seeing what you produce.  Last time I participated in this jam, I made the mistake of switching to a different game concept a few days in only to switch back to the original concept a few days before the end, costing polish and other features I no longer had time to implement.  I've started following you to make it easy to look you up again and check out your submission.  Good luck!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!

I think I'll be taking a step away from horror for this project - but we will see where things end up in ten days. I like the theme for this jam. It's pretty open-ended and suits various game types and mechanics. I have a strong idea of what I want to explore in the time allotted and luckily this theme doesn't derail those plans. I've decided to record as much of my process and progress as possible with the intent of sharing a condensed version of the whole thing at the end of the jam.

I'll be sure to follow both of your projects. If you need playtesters and I'm not too busy bug hunting I'd be more than happy to have a little play at whatever you put together.

Good luck with your games!