Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

To all first timers, or anyone who hasn't done many game jams

A topic by GraeBush created May 20, 2022 Views: 1,046 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(+23)(-1)

There is a lot of good advice here but I haven't seen this yet and it needs to be said:

There will be A LOT of people here submitting games that are way beyond the skill set of beginners and anyone who is just getting into game dev. This people love to have their ego stroked and will submit games to show off in any large game jam. 

Please do not get discouraged by this! I guarantee you, that if you are paying attention to the submission feed and comparing yourself to teams of experts, and you are solo... you will get your feeling hurt and be down on yourself...  DON'T! Keep your head down and don't focus on trying to compete with everyone else.

The point of this event is to HAVE FUN!

If you submit a game and don't get many plays, just spread some positivity and good karma by playing the many other submissions that have put just as much, or maybe even more time into theirs. You will feel just as good giving compliments and giving others the satisfaction of having their hard work not go un played, than as you would receiving it. You get what you put out in game jams. 

Oh yeah... one last thing, if you play someone's game, leave a nicely toned compliment in the comments, and maybe save the feedback or bug reports for a private message or discord? It is all to common to see people taking these game jams way too competitively and start commenting all the other games faults and bugs, to have your comment section detour others from enjoying your game. ~ You can always be kinder when commenting. Lift each other up, instead of knocking each other down. ~ 

Good luck everyone! Remember this is for fun and not to make it a toxic imaginary competition of commenting mistakes, when this is just a group of people trying to make friends and have fun together... 

Submitted(-2)

Also remember to add the 'Open Source' tag to your itch project info.

Submitted

Why should we add Open Source though? Can you explain plz

Submitted

It is required for submission

Submitted

Thanks, since I haven't upload any other game yet could you plz tell me how to make it open source

Just put your game files in a zip and includecit on the itch.io downloads.

Submitted

or Github I think

Submitted

That definetly is good advice. For me, it is the first game jam and will be ... the first game I have ever made completely solo from scratch. I am proud of my work and as (almost) always: the journey is, what counts, not the goal.

I wonder, at what point the first games will be uploaded.

Submitted

I swear I saw 3 submissions last night about 2 hours after the theme announcement but they seem to have gone or I can't see the submissions anymore

Submitted

is there somewhere we can see submissions or how many have submit yet?

Thank you, this is quite encouraging.

Submitted(+1)

Good post!

I lowkey disagree with the first bit though; I consider myself/my team above the skillset of a beginner but us participating has nothing to do with our egos ;)

Just like everyone else we are normal human beings who are still learning and improving every day. To me, ANY jam is a challenge (which gives me the motivation I might not have had otherwise), through both timelimit and through trying new things. In this jam alone I already learned a lot of things about multiple big game dev aspects. :D

Good luck to everyone participating, looking forward to see what yall are coming up with!

You are right. Sorry, english is not native to me and my writing tone sucks at time. What I wrote was too general, many talented people are humble.

Good luck. Excite to see your skills in action.

(+3)

This is really good! Though I think, “This people love to have their ego stroked and will submit games to show off in any large game jam.” Is untrue, they have more experience and can submit better games faster, beginners will eventually end up at their skill level in time.

You are right. Sorry, english is not native to me and my writing tone sucks at time. Not all talented people are egomaniacs , but there will be a few, there always is a few is what I should have said. 

Excited to see you flex your talent. Can't wait to try your game when they open it up. Good luck!

Well, my game isn’t that good, but thanks anyway!

Submitted

For me that is not a issue, I'm solely here to get better at game making. I have a busy week and weekend so I have summitted already.  I do think that a bit more time I could flesh out the game mechanic.  It could be a cool to turn it into a "find as many keys as possible".  Though it already has taught me a lot that I needed to know.  I will be joining more game jams in the future.  Selfish plug... feedback is welcome ---  https://docdoc116.itch.io/afterlife-keys