Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

On windows programming

A topic by nmeloni created Dec 04, 2020 Views: 183 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

Hi there. I am kind of a Linux only programmer, using emacs + make for most parts of what I do, and when came the time to try to port my game to windows (I used the Pyxel module for Python) I found myself quite confused not really knowing where to start. I ended up installing a random text editor and using the windows terminal but something does not feel right. And the more I googled for solutions the more confused I got.

Do you have any suggestion for a windows programming setup for someone who essentially programs in Python and C/C++ to do exactly what we have just done for this jam ?

Submitted

Unity is obviously a really easy place to start but probably not what you're looking for ;D

I'd recommend checking out this guy's YouTube channel as it's mostly C++ tutorials for windows: https://www.youtube.com/c/javidx9

He uses his own game engine for a lot of the projects (there's videos on making that engine) but there's also plenty of standalone ones like this: 

Submitted (1 edit)

Unity uses C#, and I'm fond of it, but if you know C++, you might want to check out Unreal.  Unreal engine uses C++, but either of the 2 are pretty much your gold standard in game engines.

Now, if you're only referring to porting an existing Linux game to Windows, I'm less sure of that, probably messier, but I'm sure it would depend on...dependencies :-P...and tools used, but it's not something I've ever attempted personally, all I can think of is looking into Windows compilers and such.

Submitted

Try Godot engine. It's open source, uses Python (not really, but actually, yes) and is a really good, complete engine. It's also programmed in C/C++, so if you have experience with engines, you can mod it to your heart's content. It's MIT license, so don't worry about it.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi,

I'm not totally sure that I understand your question, but I think that you're asking how to port your game from a linux machine to a windows machine? I used pygame to make my game on a linux machine.  To make an executable on windows, I copied my python project folder and all other dependencies to a windows computer, and then used the python package pyinstaller (installed via pip) to lump everything into a single executable compiled for windows.  This video helped me out:

I hope this helps! Otherwise, good luck.
Submitted

There is also a way to set up a bash terminal in windows which may be helpful for you. I set it up a long time ago, so I don't totally remember how to do it.

Submitted

Thanks to all for the answers. I going to check out thoses videos. As for Unity/Godot/Unreal it is a bit to high level to my taste at the moment. I really enjoyed to make the game engine almost from scratch.