Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How do I open source my project?

A topic by CowCat created Nov 03, 2017 Views: 610 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Hi, I'm using GMS2 (Game Maker Studio 2) and I'm wondering how I'm able to make it open source. I'm aware that GMS2 allows you to save the project as a Game Maker Project File where others can view the source code if they have the engine already installed. However, I'm assuming that most of the people here don't have GMS2 on their systems so, how do I make my project open source? 

Submitted

GM Project Files are plain text. Others don't need to have GMS2 installed, so just push your code to your repository on GitHub and you'll have it open source. Others can easily view your code from there.

Deleted 1 year ago

and how do I do that exactly?

(+1)
Add a LICENSE file to the root directory of your repository. Github has several templates you can use:

1. Go to the root directory of your repo on Github and click "Create new file".
  2. Name the new file "LICENSE". If done correctly, a button labelled "Choose a license template" should appear. Click on it.
  3.  Read over the different license templates and pick the one you want to use and then click "Review and Submit".
  4. Commit the new LICENSE file to your repo.