Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Compression?

A topic by notnullnotvoid created Jul 18, 2018 Views: 463 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 6

If the zip file containing all my game's assets including the executable is smaller than 1.44MB, but becomes larger than 1.44MB once unzipped, will it count?

The list of requirements in the bottom of the jam main text says:

"The game must fit within 1.44MB uncompressed."

I imagine all methods of compression, including zip folders, are therefore ruled out.

Host

The files going in and coming out of the zip must be within 1.44MB

How about storing assets in a compressed blob and uncompressing them on startup? Is that allowed?

Host

I guess so, but it's kinda avoiding the point of the game jam.

(+1)

No I don't think this is avoiding the point of the jam. Just have a look what id Software did with Wolfenstein 3D shareware release. They implemented compression for multiple assets in the game to cram it on a single floppy.

To be clear, .jar files (greenlit in another thread) already do this. The contents of the .jar are compressed, and the java runtime uncompresses them on startup.

Host

When you compress stuff down, you're getting rid of a lot of that 1.44MB constraint. Sure you can do it, just don't compress the actual resulting game.

(+1)

How about inherently compressed file formats for assets? JPEG instead of PNG, mp3/ogg instead of PCM/WAV?

Host(+1)

That's kind of a given to use smaller file formats.

One more question that just occurred to me: If we release on multiple platforms (e.g. mac+win+nix), I'm guessing it needs to be within the size limit on all of them?

Host

Yes.