Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is winning required in the game generally, or in every game?

A topic by Stuart Langridge created Apr 11, 2021 Views: 243 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

The SRD says "it can be fun to make a game that is very difficult to win, but make sure that however unlikely or difficult it is, it is always possible". Does that mean that every single game has to be winnable? Or that the game in general needs to be potentially winnable but a particular game might not be if you got an unlucky deal?

HostSubmitted(+2)

Mostly what I meant by that is, it's no fun if you lay down the cards and it turns out that the game was never winnable. 

Winning or losing should be the result of play choices, not of the deal, if that makes sense?

Submitted(+1)

Yup, that does make sense! I was thinking about, say, Klondike Solitaire, where some games you might lose through bad choices but some were never possible to win in the first place.

Submitted

I guess I'm leaning in on that with mine. I ended up going full rogue-like, with fast iterations on small maps. Luck of the deal plays a big part, but it moves pretty fast. See how it develops.

Submitted(+1)

Yeah, I ended up going Rogue-like as well, even at one point thinking if my game is too difficult. I playtested about ten or fifteen times to make sure I could win at least once.