Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

multiple resources in collect mode

A topic by Courtney created Apr 11, 2021 Views: 227 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4

hello!! so i'm trying not to fuss with the game mechanics too heavily, as this will be the first time i'm creating a game, but i'm considering doing a Collect Mode game that has more than one resource to collect: Favor and Taboo, where you require enough of the former to win whereas acquiring too much of the latter is a fail condition.

i'm not entirely sure how i want to do this and how i can while keeping things balanced? my thoughts so far include:

1. keeping it so that 13 cards are resource cards; when you land on a resource card, roll a die, and the result determines whether you gain Favor or Taboo (probably slightly in favor of Favor, 1-2 Taboo 3+ Favor)
  2. 13 cards are Favor cards, 6 cards are Taboo cards (but i'd probably have to lower the amount of Taboo necessary for a fail state to 3 or even 2—maybe i should increase it from 6 without quite getting to 13?)
  3. 13 cards are Favor cards, 13 different cards are Taboo cards (is this too much?)
  4. put survival mode in a headlock and shake it down for its lunch money; 15 cards are Favor and 10 are Taboo, you still need 4 Favor to win, but maybe 3 Taboo is the fail state number?

i'd love to hear what people think about this and how i might manage to do this while keeping things relatively balanced!

thank you!!!

HostSubmitted(+1)

That's really interesting!

I like all these ideas, honestly. It might be worth just laying out a couple boards (number 3 is the easiest to test because 13 is a whole suit) and trying to see what a normal game feels like. That's what I would do anyway - see if it feels right once the cards are down. 

1 is my favorite because it feels a little more hands-on? Plus from a writer's perspective that means prompts that could swing either way, which may be challenging to write but will be interesting and compelling, I think. 

(+1)

I also like the first one a lot! Mixes things up without complicating them too much.

thank you both for the input!!! i think i'm most likely to go with the first one but i'll set up some boards when i have some time and decide for certain pending the results. i appreciate the chiming in a lot!!!