Jobs
Tags

Any GameJam Tips.

A topic by CatNoiseDev created Aug 03, 2020 Views: 199 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Post your tips here. :)

Submitted(+1)

1) Relax, don't stress over the Jam. If you're stuck, you're stuck, step away for a minute/hour/day, do something else and see how you feel when you come back. 

2) think small. maybe even a one screen game. Especially if you're fairly new to game dev. 

3) Your first idea might be your best idea. if you still cant think of a game, start working on your first idea. 

4) if you cant think of anything for the  topic... google it. "define <topic>",  "what is <topic>", "how do I <topic>", "what do I <topic>". "What do I rewind." Cassette tapes need to be rewound. so my main mechanic is rewinding cassettes.

5) Most importantly of all, have fun!  You do this as a hobby, for fun.  If you're not having fun, then don't, nothing is going to change if you dont bother doing it. I quit my first game Jam (this is my second in all honesty), I overscoped stupidly. who has time to make a complete RPG from scratch in a week? :p It got to the point that I started stressing about the product and it was only half way through. I dropped out, I wasnt having fun anymore. But that being said, this jam I didnt overscope. I had alot of it done in 24 hours because I was having fun. Then many hours after I wasnt in the mood to continue so I didnt.  I worked on it maybe 2 hours all today. But the point is to have fun. If you're not having fun then dont do it. :)  

6} you will never finish things at their time it's going to take 2 to 3 more days. So don't over scope.

7) Something bad will happen we are humans and we make mistakes that costs us hours small things like organising folders will be your timesaver.

Submitted

Browser games get literally 5 times the plays and ratings~

Submitted(+1)

Definitely. I'd add to this that it's also important to try and make the game page attractive to people. Make sure you have a few screenshots at least. I believe you can still change the page after the deadline.

My first game jam I made the mistake of having a plain page for a downloadable game so I got very few ratings until I changed it