Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is there are minimum number of votes needed to get ranked?

A topic by Deleted Account created Feb 06, 2021 Views: 188 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Deleted post
Submitted (2 edits)

Based off prior experience with game jams I've done (GMTK 2019, GMTK 2020 and Yogscast Jingle Jam 2019), the number of rating does not matter as much when it comes to where you rank, what matters is your average rating score  in each category. The higher your average rating in a category, the more likely you will rank in the top 100 of that category. I do believe that the number of ratings you get does have a weighting that influences your score, which is known as your weighted score which is what is used to determine your ranking in each category when they are displayed in the results. For some reason however, the raw score and the weighted score for me in previous jams have been the same which means it might be broken.  The people who run itch.io may have changed how it works, and the same could be assumed for Blackthornprod since he runs the jam and can adjust some things (not really sure, I've never tried to run a game jam), so it may work completely different for this jam. Here's a link to how itch.io jams work for a more detailed understanding: https://itch.io/docs/creators/game-jams.

TLDR; your average rating score in each category is what determines your ranking, more so than the number of ratings you get

Deleted post
Submitted

Yes, that is probably the case. I have not participated in Ludum Dare yet due to bad timing but I know that the jams on itch.io don't have a minimum requirement of ratings to be ranked.

Deleted post
Submitted

In the previous jams I have participated in, the Brackeys Game Jam 2020.1 and .2 as well as the Community Game Jam, the required ratings were 20, so I'd say it's the same here.

Submitted

Oh ok, I guess it then depends on how the jam is set up. I remember in the GMTK 2019 jam, someone won with like 5 ratings

Submitted

Was he announced as the winner by the hosts or was it just itch's algorithm that said he got the most 5 stars?

Submitted (2 edits)

Just the results page for the jam. The top 10 for the jam results and the top 10 picked for the video were completely different. The ones that were shown in the video for GMTK were selected by Mark Brown from a shortlist of the top 100 games from what I can recall.