Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What's considered a port for the compo

A topic by KaiN created Aug 01, 2021 Views: 538 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Thanks for creating this game jam, I'm looking forward to take part in it! Still, I have some questions on what is valid for submission and what's not, so that I know what kind of thing to create:

• assuming that I'll do the 1:1 port from the other platform and it will play and look exactly the same, this is the valid submission, so this is out of the question.
  • when doing the port from inferior platform with assets that wouldn't use the Amiga to the fullest, can I redraw them to the Amiga's palette and redo the sounds trying to be as faithful as possible? Same question with porting from superior hardware and manually retouching assets to fit them into Amiga's limitations.
  •  now, how about expanding the base game to have some additional powerups, levels etc.? My guess is that most of the original content should be in the production and some small, reasonable tweaks is okay? But what if I e.g. I'd like to add something like a new game mode?
  • In the past, Mcgeezer have ported the Super Sprint game, redoing some assets, changing gameplay slightly and releasing as Turbo Sprint. Still, it looks and plays almost the same as the original. Does the name change in our productions is okay for this compo?
  • The last thing is a long shot and I guess the answer is no. Let's assume that I want to port the game from other platform, but my gfx man has this idea of completely rebranding it - add original assets, different story/setting, completely other name. The only thing which resembles original are the mechanics, but they are expanded too. Is that okay for this compo?
Submitted

Can I participate with Sonic2 port in Vampire Next Gen category?

(2 edits)

There is a rule which was posted by Cammy on AmigaGameDev discord server:
> To be fair to other contestants, we can't accept any projects that you have already started working on before the competition begun. An exception might be if you started it within the last few days, if you can submit the entry at least that many days before the end date.

Host

How long have you been working on the project? The competition rules only permit projects started after the 1st of August 2021. There may be exceptions made if you started the project within the last week or so, provided that you submit the final game at least a week or so before the contest end date. It would definitely be a perfect entry to the Next Gen category if it's following the rules.

Submitted

There's a bit of an edge case here - I have submitted a project, "ClassicZoo". The Amiga port has technically only been in development since December, which would meet within the rules. However, since I'm the person responsible for the original reverse-engineering of ZZT's source code in March 2020 and most of the bugfixes/updates beyond, it could be argued that my personal involvement in the codebase stretches far before the jam's start date. On the other hand, the jam's rules state that using existing source code is allowed... I'll leave judgement to you on that one.

Submitted

Also curious, what about the legal issues related to porting existing games?

The common practice (Devilution, Return To The Roots, Reminiscence) is that the game usually requires the original one for assets to be automatically extracted. I'd tackle the manual retouching of assets in following steps:

- use a tool which extracts original assets
- after extraction, apply diffs with retouching of assets

and preferably automate those steps. That's the safest approach, I think.

Are multiple entries valid, or is it strictly one project per individual/team?

Host

Multiple entries per person or group are totally acceptable, but each person or group can only win one prize pack (which they can share amongst themselves on their own terms). If one of your entries comes first and another is voted second, the game voted third will win the second prize and be considered "equal second" for example.

However, we're working on a digital "participation prize" pack, downloadable/streamable prizes that everyone who enters will receive.

Host

Apologies for the late reply, the last couple of days have been a little overwhelming, which is fantastic because we have so many people interested in contributing and donating to the competition.

As far as defining what we consider a port, and what's acceptable for the contest, a "port" can include the use of original source code and assets, as well as ground-up recreations. Provided it's recognisable as the game it's based on, it should be accepted. If it's a port of a game that is currently for sale, it shouldn't include any assets that haven't been released for free (for example a Doom port requires the WAD file from a registered copy of the game). If the game is considered "abandonware" it's generally accepted that any recreation using the original assets will go unnoticed and unpunished. As far as I'm aware, the only game that ever receives legal consequences are ports of Mario, so avoid any games from that company. As far as I know, the consequences are that the game is taken down from the internet, nothing worse. In any case, it's up to you to use your judgement on what's right or wrong.

If it's a port of a game from an inferior system, you are welcome to improve it. If you improve it to the point where it's no longer recognisable as the original game, it may not meet everyone's standards. The winners are the ones who impress the community and the judges the most, and we're all capable of considering the amount of effort and good decisions that are put into each entry. Turbo Sprint is a perfect example of a game that is clearly recognisable as a port of the original game without stepping on too many toes. and I'm sure would be voted favourably.

Remember that as a port, it's not really the kind of thing you'd be able to resell (but you could win some fantastic prizes). If the game you submit is so far removed from the original that it has become its own game, you may not win this contest but you would probably be able to sell the game.