SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

CONVERGER: an anti-fascist roguelike

A topic by -hexcavator- created Mar 13, 2021 Views: 168
Viewing posts 1 to 1
Submitted (1 edit) (+4)

Hi all,

This is my second 7DRL (did 2018, skipped a couple years, back cos i rlly love the jam!). I'm super excited to see what other folks are drumming up, and figured I'd share my submission here:

https://ottomaddox.itch.io/converger

CONVERGER is a tiny urban brawler roguelike with a few mechanical twists. You play a bunch of punks fighting fascists over 14 nights of chaos. In each battle, you play three to six groups of punks; the catch is that they all move simultaneously, so you have to navigate obstacles and enemies while trying to keep each group's situation in mind. Beyond defeating the various scumbags you encounter, the secondary goal is to unite groups of surviving punks, who become more and more powerful as they gain solidarity. Everything resets between battles, so the payoff is pretty constrained, but my hope is that it's a fun, brain-breaking distraction for a few minutes!

Visually speaking, it looks like this:

Most of the procgen code is adapted from VERGER, another game I've been working on (also explains the terrible name, albeit poorly). The source algorithms are a mashup of various tutorials generously shared by others and my own middling experiments. The rest of the "engine" is code scraps from my Gamemaker archive and whatever else I could bash together in a week.

As I'm sure you'll note, this isn't a traditional roguelike, but enough of the familiar elements are there (turn based combat, permadeath, strategic interrelationship between items/terrain, etc.) that I think it's well-suited to the jam!

OK cool, I'm exhausted! Really looking forward to checking out other people's games as the jam closes and the jurors start tallying! Thanks to all who organized and everyone who made stuff!

-bryan