Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Text Rogue - Dev Log

A topic by AquaTsar created Mar 10, 2021 Views: 162 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3

For last year's 7DRL I tried to write a text-based roguelike. I got hung up on the UI of all things and ran out of time due to life pressures, but spent some time over the summer trying to get the basic engine working.

This year I'm trying again. Using a modified version of the engine I wrote last year (i.e., actually making it a game) and a much simpler UI, I'm finally at a point where something resembling a game is there. It's the end of my Day 3, but honestly it's pretty good progress compared to other years. The game has a random dungeon of some sample rooms with lock/key puzzles scattered throughout. The generator is designed to pick random key/lock combinations depending on the room, so that will help with making thematically appropriate puzzles. The player has an inventory,  light sources matter for seeing the rooms, and can die from too much damage due to traps or wandering in the darkness. The game is winnable, in that if you can reach the exit room you're presented with a win message and a total score. Thus, it is 'complete' in a very simple sense.

Tomorrow the plan is to add more content (treasures, keys, locks, and rooms) and test that these things work correctly. There was code for wearing stuff, but I suspect it's broken. After that I plan to break the puzzle generator by adding loops to the otherwise perfect tree, alternate ways of getting past locks, and keys with multiple uses. Once all of that is in an working correctly, then I'll add combat. It's going to be simplistic, but varied item effects and ways of dealing with enemies should keep things sufficiently interesting.

Demo and screenshots are expected tomorrow evening, so that I have a few days available for feedback for those interested in playing it. 

Jam JudgeSubmitted

“Text Rogue” as in a roguelike text adventure akin to Colossal Cave Adventure or Zork, but randomly generated because it’s a roguelike? That’s really cool! I actually wanted to do something like this (and it was going to be called TextRogue) but never got around to it… I’d like to see what you come up with! 😁

Day 4 and Day 5 were spent revising the UI and the dungeon generation algorithm. Everything looks much better, though I don't like how long that took. The dungeons were far too linear, and now they aren't quite as bad. I've added several test rooms but it doesn't have enough game play yet that I think it's worth demoing. It's unfortunate, but I may only get 1 day of a demo. That said, tomorrow (Day 6) looks good for adding more rooms, items, and some monsters finally.

And, to Ekolis' question, it's a text adventure like Zork but with a bit more combat and the dungeon, rooms, puzzles, and items are procedurally generated. Combat was not a focus for me, so it probably won't be too interesting. I'm ok with that.

The puzzles won't be as elaborate as in some good text adventures (old or new) but at least they won't involve guessing the magic verb or phrase needed to solve them. It's more like you need to find one or more items and use them to get past a door, or pit, or a guard. Although the puzzles are generated safely (i.e., the item needed for a puzzle is never behind the puzzle's locked door) the interactivity of the game allows breaking them. So, if you're able to break a door, then it doesn't matter if it was locked or you never found the key. Breaking puzzles like that is not correct according to adventure games but it makes total sense for a roguelike.

Jam JudgeSubmitted

Ooh, that is really cool! I’m looking forward to trying out this game! 😁

Remember, just because you have a “complete” game at the end of your 7 days, doesn’t mean you can’t add further enhancements later! Heck, wasn’t Hoplite originally a 7DRL? 😉