Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

New to Itch.io

A topic by badscribbler created Jan 19, 2018 Views: 279 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

I've done a few 7DRL and have always uploaded to a file hosting site before. Now I'm new to Itch.io and  have poked around the upload and creator tabs and have a few questions involved with uploading to Itch.io for 7DRL.

1) Do we have to set up payment systems even if I put it at free?  I know there is a no payment option but that doesn't mean the payment system has to be filled out for internal site logic to stop the upload.

2) Is there any gotchas with uploading to Itch.io? This is more of a question of in the last hour that I reserve for final runs and uploading am I going to find out I have to use some strange cumbersome system or required formats to upload to this site. Don't want to fail the 7DRL because the uploading service had some pitfalls in it.

3) Do we have to use itch.io for file hosting? This would technically solve the previous two though I guess I should upload to this new system.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid I get very cautious when money is involved in systems.

HostSubmitted

1. As far as I remember, you don't need to set up any payment if you want to publish a free game.

2. Nope, it's just a web upload of your package, if it's an executable, or a zip with an index.html if it's web

3. You don't have to but it's the preferred way, so that entries can remain in time

Since the submission process uses the normal itch.io game upload, I'd suggest you upload a test game before the 7DRL just to get the hang of the process, it's really simple.

Submitted

Thank you for your answer thats about everything I wanted to hear.

Submitted

Minor follow up to anyone looking at this thread. You can indeed upload a no payment option without setting up payments. You can also upload a game without any game file! I would assume it'd yell at you to tell you about it but nope makes the page just fine. However it is simple enough to go and edit to add the file.