Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

UI/GUI? + Mouse buttons

A topic by Adan's Workshop created Jun 14, 2022 Views: 287 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5

the rules say 3 buttons and no mouse but how would you do ui. I’m assuming that the 3  button control scheme applies to the gameplay and for example a pause or quit button don’t count. Also can you use a mouse button as a button. For example a for move b for I don’t know and lmb for attack

Jam Host

Take a look at something like Divekick for UI - you’ll need to get creative with assigning buttons to menu options.

You are allowed to use the mouse buttons - just not mouse position or movement, or the wheel, unless you’re stretching the meaning of “button” and using a click up or click down as a button, but that’s pushing the boundaries of the jam’s spirit.

(Although if you aren’t using mouse position, I’m of the strong personal opinion that using mouse buttons is a mistake.)

ok so I need to make it so that if I like press and hold button 3 then I can use 1 and 2 to move left and right in the menu. When I let go of three, it selects whatever you landed on with 1 and 2

(+1)
  • use different types of presses, such as short vs long press (But bear in mind that distinguishing these inputs can make gameplay difficult, and you should  use visual or auditory indicators to help the player understand what is going on)

Consider the effects of double clicking, or tapping a key rather than holding it. Even one button can effectively take on 5+ inputs: tap (1-5 frames), hold1(5->8 frames), hold2 (8+frames), doubleTap(two 'tap' within 20 frames), tripletap(three 'tap' within 30 frames) etc. You should think of 3 buttons as 15, it's too many rather than too few.

that might not work so well because I’m gonna do the “who needs pixels” challenge thingy so maybe if you press and hold 3 then 1 is quit to title screen and 2 is smt else I don’t know 

one more question. With the “Retro Palette” diversifier, I used python to iterate through 6 bit binary numbers, decode it into 2 bits each for rgb, spit out all the rgb values and open a window with a 16 by 16 pixle square for each color. I have my color palette created in very over-engineered way. Does that count as starting before the jam?

Jam Host

Color palettes are a pretty general purpose thing, so that’s fine

kk thanks.