Hey all, I'm starting this post to keep a running 'dev log' of my jam game Project Night (terrible name that I'll change later). Here are some general notes on my thoughts and how my Day 1 went.
What is Project Night?
Project Night is going to be a top down 2D horror adventure game built in Unity. Ever since I started game dev I wanted to build a game that told a story yet I always seem to build 'arcade' style projects. That fact along with my forever obsession with horror video games (the good ones mind you) and my more recent interest in pixel art makes this the perfect setup for me. The game will hopefully feature a story told more with the surrounding objects and atmosphere, giving the players a general sense of the plot but allowing them to 'fill in the blanks'. If time permits I may consider adding puzzles as well.
What is the Goal?
Well obviously finish the game in time! But more specifically, my idea is that the player will investigate an area and as they continue forward the game becomes more hellish and terrifying in atmosphere (ala Silent Hill). Even more specifically, the general direction the player will travel is 'downwards', kind of playing on the notion that the player is heading into 'hell', although that's more playing on player psyche and not specific to the game plot.
Day 1 Progress
Day 1 was unique in that I had started this project only just before finding the jam with the intent of building this game in a month, so I didn't start thinking about it until the afternoon and only giving me a few hours to conceptualize the project and jump right in. I started by installing 'Home' by Benjamin Rivers since I knew that had an aesthetic similar to what I envisioned (thought Lone Survivor and several other games would work). I looked at the pixel counts for the player (about 32x32) and analyzed how the flashlight works (3-4 pixelated circles that animated getting larger and smaller) and how the screen noise works (again just 3-4 pixelated images animating over time). Armed with that info I mimicked those effects and created a character with a basic down animation (started a base for the up walk):
Then I worked on setting up everything in Unity which included animations, player input, lighting, game state controllers, etc. Additionally, I added a bed sprite and the code for the 'interact' mechanic which allows the player to walk up to objects, press a button, and get some text printed to the screen. It supports multiple text fragments so it's a relatively dynamic component and the first time I ever coded a prompt like that:
I conceptualized some other features so implementation of that will be my plans Day 2 :D Onward!