Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

is it ok to have the two buttons mapped to multiple inputs?

A topic by Ragnar Random created Dec 09, 2021 Views: 136 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(2 edits)

ie: button 1 is left shift, left ctrl, space bar, left mouse click and gamepad button 1;  button 2 is right shift, right ctrl, v key, right mouse click, and gamepad button 2. still only two buttons but mapped to multiple inputs. better for accessibility?

Host

Yes! It's better this way indeed.

cool beans. i will try to cook something up for this jam. i'm at the end of another jam project that's due next tuesday, so i'll be able to grind out something in the jam time period. 

Submitted (2 edits)

Does the intent need to be that the user use the same 2 keys the entire time? Like say arrow key left and right are movement and tapping left brings up a menu. tapping left/right moves up and down the menu, but I mapped left to w and right to s.....so u could tap w/s to navigate the inventory in a more 'intuitive way' than left/right keys. In this situation the creator has mapped keys in a way where they encourage you to use 4 buttons even though they technically meet the demands of only two inputs. Is this allowed? Or is the intent to make like the Nintendo controller pic....i.e. 2 inputs spanning 2 keys and any other included control schemes are purely for accessibility?

"Or is the intent to make like the Nintendo controller pic....i.e. 2 inputs spanning 2 keys and any other included control schemes are purely for accessibility?" 

that's how i interpreted it. the jam host can perhaps provide more clarity?