Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] The V-Astounding Inn

A topic by Jamarin created Feb 06, 2018 Views: 487 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 9

Hi all! I want to create a devlog to force myself to work on this project. It will also help me to improve my English level. Obviously I am open to corrections in both: the language and the way the devlog is written.

I have some experience in videogames development, but I'm learning how to create Unity 2D experiences in a short time. This is my first jam, so I hope I can finish in time.

About the game: The V-Astounding Inn

Is a top-down RPG where the player will arrive at an inn where the protagonist will evolve as a person and reflect on his past.  The player will have to overcome some fights in their own mind, as well as argue well the answers to the innkeeper's questions.  Will the player overcome the barriers of their own mind?

---------------------

I will add more information in a few hours, as well as the first game status update.

(1 edit)

Hi everybody!

Today I have been working on the tileset. I had never worked with the new Unity tile tool, so that has been a challenge for me. Thanks to Agggron I have been able to solve one of the biggest problems that I have had, I never set the pixel per unit to the sprite size and my map didn't fit. After set the correct pixel per unit value, everything fell into place.

I also have been working with the tile collision system, with this system I realized that I could create layers and I started again in the correct way. After that, I just use the Tilemap Collider 2D to automatize the collisions.

Finally, I have developed a simple free-moving system that I will have to polish later.

Right now I'm working on the character animations, so I'll be adding more information soon.

Submitted

I am intrigued by your idea, and a lonely dark-looking inn makes a realistic setting for the character to reminisce and confront their own personal demons. The map is looking great so far, good luck!

Thanks! I hope I can finish the game in time jajaja. Good luck to you too!

(2 edits)

Hi again!

Before I go to sleep I want to write about my daily achievements. First of all I changed the movement system, because the free movement give me many troubles. Now, the character can move in four directions (down, left, up, right). Also I  have been adding other elements like the InnKeeper or the reception desk (WIP).

As a little, little thing, I created the main menu, and its functionality (start game, options, exit...).

At the end of the day, I have been working in the inventory system, I've managed to create a little sketch of what will be. Now, the inventory can save an unlimited number of objects, but only shows the first four. The player can collect items pass overthem. Finally, the player can open and close the inventory menu pressing "i".

Video showing current status: http://sendvid.com/hcil9ehk

The music is a placeholder hahaha.

(1 edit)

Hi!

Today I wanted to start with the dialog system, so I has been working on a primitive dialog box that reacts to a trigger. The player must press "space" in order to continue the dialog sequence. I think that the player controller should be deactivate in the meantime, but I haven't developed this feature yet.

Short text, but I want to continue working in the dialog system.

P.D: I just realized that I left the placeholder text in Spanish xD It's just filling phrases like "lorem ipsum".

Hi again!

I have been working in the dialog system, now the InnKeeper will say something, the player must do a "mission" and then the InnKeeper change his words. To do this, I have created a simple system to control the game pacing, the player will go through different "moments of the game" and these will mark the conversations. If the player try to skip one step, the conversation will never continue.

Now I'm going to try to develop the combat system, at least a brief approximation. I'll come back with more information.

Wow, you're making serious progress. Great work, keep it up!

(1 edit)

Hi!

I can't attach pics/videos today, because I'm not at hom,e but I want to write about my yesterday progress.

Yesterday I was working on the combat system. Now, the player can pulse 'b' in keyboard to start a battle, and the battle scene is loaded over the main room. After that, the game system decides which enemy comes out (based on the player level). Then, the turn based battle starts with the player turn, and the player can choose between attack, defense, special attack, avoid. After that, the enemy will choose (randomly right now, although I would like to implement some simple AI system) what want to do.

I hope to be able to work a lot this weekend, but I also signed up for another jam so I'll have to split the time. I guess tonight I can bring back some kind of combat system image.

I has been working on the combat system, although I haven't had much time today. I want to share a video to show what I have at the moment.

Tomorrow I will have plenty of time to work on this project, since it is Saturday, let's see how far I can have finished =)

Host

great work so far! Keep it up, Jamarin

Thaaanks! I hope to be able to complete something interesting =)

Hi everybody!

Today I have nothing to show because I've been working on restructuring the code. I've created a mission system that allows me to better structure the way the game flows. Each of the missions includes a series of dialogues, prizes and some combat. I hope to be able to show more details of this tomorrow.