Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are the restraints on the one button thing?

A topic by Connorious created Nov 21, 2022 Views: 271 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Can I have a button to do stuff and then escape to quit or not?

Can I have a keyboard/mouse button and then a clickable one on screen to change the action or will that be counted as 2 buttons?

The way I read it is as long as your finger only touches one button (lets say the space bar) on the keyboard you can do whatever you want.

Submitted

For menu you can have different buttons. The 1-button rule only applies to actual gameplay, though it would definitely be an interesting challenge to figure out how to handle menus with the same button :)

As for having a second clickable button, that does count as a second button so it's not quite fitting for the jam. Think of a different way to change the action. Maybe holding the button changes the action? Or double/triple tapping it? Or maybe the action changes contextually. To give you an example, in my game if the character is on the ground the button acts as a jump button, but if the character is in the air it's a fire button.

Host

Having the menu being usable with 1-button is waaaaay better for sure, if you can do it =)

It's very difficult, though, to implement Escape and Pause during the game with one button, so feel free to keep Esc to quit, and something like P for pause or whatever.

The 1-button rule mainly means that :
- you can play the game just by hitting/holding the same key ;
- several keys can be mapped to this unique button for better comfort (space bar, LMB, X on a gamepad... all could trigger the same thing).

As for the onscreen button, well...
There's no mouse mouvement in such games, so a "clickable" button is off topic. But you can have an interface with several buttons. For example, a simple tap on your key moves to the next UI button. Holding the key activates the current UI button, etc.

I was going to use mouse movement as the button so no mouse or key pressing but hovering over stuff because I saw another thread where they said that mouse movement counted as the input/button. Is that against the rules?

Host

We usually consider here that mouse movement uses at least 2 buttons already (x-axis, y-axis), so it's beyond the scope of this jam indeed.

But, well, if you have an original idea, you can go for it. It's better to make a game than nothing.

Or can can take part to the sister jam : https://itch.io/jam/2-buttons-jam-2022

In any case, good luck and have fun :)

(2 edits)

I don't have any menu ^_^'