Note: game is still in its early stages with many things subject to change.
I don't know why there's this thread while the devlog forum is here. Oh well, doesn't matter, I'll just talk about the game in better detail here, I guess. I am working on Roses Will Rise, an SRPG Visual novel.
Four women locked in a dungeon after having their homes burnt down. The four, while of different classes and backgrounds, band together to unleash an erupting attack from inside their captor's castle, destroying his forces inside out. You take the role of an exiled doctor, a sigilist witch, a holy princess and a blacksmith's daughter as they fight for their freedom, discover their locked potential, fortify their arsenal and fight side by side as sisters.
(not final artwork)
- The visual novel half of the game would be the cutscene, character building, story telling and a hub for the quests, both main and sub, item crafting, etc.
- The battles are your standard SRPG fare where you will move in an area and fight off different enemies, depending on how things go, I might change things up for a few of the battles.
- While the battle is standard, some of the characters in the group play fairly unconventional roles:
- Firalda (Blacksmith): Leader of the Roses, she will break, weaken enemy equipment and in the same time boost a fews specific stats of her party with her "rallying" skills.
- Thereaedi (Doctor): Works similarly to the chemists in Final Fantasy Tactics, throws healing medicine to heal allies and poisons and acids at enemies to damage them. While her ranged attacks are strong, she suffers from a smaller moving radius than the rest of her comrades.
- S'ouila (Witch): Acts as a traditional magic caster, but also specializes in trap spells, that can bind enemies to place and can cause chaos on the opposing force with the use of her land marked sigils.
- Megline (Holy Princess): The other healer in the group, while her healing is in shorter range than Thereaedi's, her prayers will heal a greater amount but will sacrifice her own health in the process. Megline also can cast wards that can nullify physical or magical damage.
Works more like trading than actual crafting, really. Since the game is set within a castle, there's no exact currency that can be useful, instead you will be collecting "salvage". Salvage will work as a currency for the game to be used in the hub to create items and equipment.
- Firalda (Blacksmith): Being the blacksmith her role is obvious, she will craft the weapons and armor for the party. However some of the stronger gear can be found through the sub quests.
- Thereaedi (Doctor): While a doctor, Thereaedi has a bit of a shoddy hand in making medicines. While crafting, there's a small chance for her medicines being poisons and acids. She will tell you the medicine is made if it's a hit or a dud.
- S'ouila (Witch): S'ouila channels the powers of the old gods to aid you in your quest, she's the vendor of a special type of subquests that are harder than the rest, but the rewards can be worth the trouble.
- Megline (Holy Princess): Megline acts as the save point of the game.
Ideally, the game's main questline will be five chapters long, with the 4th being a fork on the road of the story's path. While the the sub quests will be optional, a few of them will be needed to unlock certain endings in the game. Sub quests can be found while conversing with the party members in the hub section of the game, some will be missable, others will be available for extended sections of the game.
At the moment my full focus is to get the first chapter 100% done, I've got it set up where I can update it in small but very frequent increments. I'm building it and updating at the moment piece by piece, it holds a good portion of the graphical assets needed in the game. So, once I get that out of the way, filling the gaps in the rest of the game won't be a problem, especially since I got the story written and done.
That's pretty much Roses Will Rise, probably a little too ambitious in some parts but things have gone smoothly for me so far.Prior to the itch community, I had a subreddit to log the changes that I've been making for the game. I will still use it as it is a quicker access for me but I will update this from time to time. I also have a public Trello board too.
Since I have labeled the game under "alpha" in the Google play store, you need to opt in to find it there (which is just one link click), you can find that link here