Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs

Jet Jumping Virtues

A topic by Dev-Ze.rocks created Apr 05, 2017 Views: 272 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(1 edit)

This is the best that I could come up for now. I actually wanted to make a (real) desktop app, with mouse and keyboard controls, but it seems that my brain is already too used to mobile devices... And it might even be fun...


Working title: Jet Jumping Virtues

Side scrolling 2d game with tricky? (new?) controls.

The levels are made up by the seven (heavenly) virtues as words, written in a font like Press Start 2P (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Press+Start+2P):
Chastity
Temperance
Charity
Diligence
Patience
Kindness
Humility
(the right order needs to be play tested)

The player always starts on the first letter and needs to reach the last letter.
The player has one life and always needs to start from the beginning when dead.

Controls:
Each step consists of three movements: up, right, down - in this order.
When pressed one of the movements, the player accelerates in this direction until he either leaves the screen (or some preset boarder),
a new movement is choosen or the ground (some character of the current word) is reached.
The characters can not be hit sidewards, only when in downwards direction.

Design:
Simple as the font, probably a grey square on white letters with black background, maybe different colored end letter.

Goal:
Reach the end of the last virtue. If this will be too easy (or there is time left), add some type of score, like time,
(least) number of moving cycles, number of letters touched, ...

(2 edits)

Log:

Spent the first 1,5 hours trying to make the first level with tiled and load it into the PonyBlitz skeleton via the ponytiled module.
Could not get it to work :(

log_1

log_2

I have to admit that I never used Tiled before, though.

Lets see if I can find a work around tomorrow...

So I just spent another 2.5 hours with tiled and ponytiled and finally got something to work with.

I actually spent only about 30 minutes with coding, the rest was figuring out how to get my map into corona...

log_4


log_3

This is probably the worst way of doing it, but now I have something to work with (player and some ground, both are physics objects)

I will spend some more time now to try my idea, I think its ok, as I only spent time on the asset, right? :)

It is done!

The game took me just about 4 hours to make. (Just coding)

Overall I needed some 12 hours, with making the map and getting used (or not) to the ponyblitz template.

I uploaded only an exe file, as I could not get it to work on ANdroid. File permission/folder structure problems :(
Maybe I will get this done tomorrow.

Overall it was a great experience!!


https://dev-ze.itch.io/jetjumpingvirtues

Pushed a mini update (1.0.1) and added a description at the beginning.

https://dev-ze.itch.io/jetjumpingvirtues

(1 edit)

Who is interessted, here is a little log about the progress:

04.04.17 - 23:00
created the skeleton with the ponyblitz files.
tried to use tiled to create the levels.
could not get tiled to load with the ponyblitz ponytiled module :(
log_1.jpg, log_2.jpg
05.04.17 - 0:30
->1.5 hs (~1 h trying to get tiled and ponytile to work)


07.04.17 - 21:30
got Tiled working with Corona and ponytiled
now I have the tiled map loaded and can actually start making the game :)
07.04.17 - 22:00
->0.5 hs (~0.5 hs trying to get tiled and ponytile working)

07.04.17 - 22:30
got a very ugly way working to create the map with physics bodies attached
log_3.jpg, log_4.jpg
08.04.17 - 00:30
->2 hs (~1.8 hs trying to understand tiled and ponytile)

08.04.17 - 13:45
-got the main game mechanics done (jump, jet, falling)
08.04.17 - 14:45


09.04.17 - 13:00
made the map scroll with the player
adjusted the speed
disabled the posibility to jump again when sliding a wall
fixed the start menu
added a win platform
added a gameOverScreen
added the win logic
09.04.17 - 14:40

09.04.17 - 22:30
implemented a new makeWorld function that takes a global level variable to load the different levels
included additional HUD elements (like the jump counter)
got the jump counter working properly
09.04.17 - 23:00

09.04.17 - 23:00
Created the other worlds (~2 hours)
Started building the app, run into lots of problems
wont start on android
dublicated menus
In the end I used my own menu implementation and dropped ponymenu and ponysnap
10.04.17 - 3:00
-> 2 hours for publishing stuff :(

10.04.17 - 10:00
Added a description
10.04.17 - 10:05

10.04.17 - 12:40
Got the android version running
10.04.17 - 13:00


-> 4h15 for the game
-> ~4h grafik assets
-> ~2h publishing (win only)
-> ~2h random loosing time

-> 20 mins android publishing

Update.

Just got the android version working and uploaded an apk. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out the problem. So now I am definately over the time, but its good to have a mobile version :)

(updated the logs post above...)