Pico-8 doesn't seem to have a full-fledged classic Chess. There are various Chess projects around but they seem to be "virtual chessboards". So they are typically 2-player chess free-for-all where you can move the pieces however you want. So I thought I make a proper Chess implementation for casual chess players. How hard can it be?
This is an old project that I revived for the Chess Jam.
Intended Feature Set
- Full implementation of Chess rules. Not just a "virtual chessboard"
- Actual chess AI. Full-on minmax with Alpha/Beta pruning and some other optimizations
- 2-player mode
- Cute but readable Pixelart
- Juicy animations and sounds. Solid player feedback
Nice-to-have features that I will implement if I have tokens left.
- A cute portrait for the AI with facial expression that reacts to your moves
- Mutiple AI difficulties
- Different chess variants - Chess960 or Really Bad Chess
At this point I'm confident I will make the deadline as the game is already playable. Here are some progress GIFs
Game already recognizes Checks, Mates and Stalemates.
Castling and En Passant works!