You can play the demo, though, via the Alienware Indie Game Challenge: http://avencolony.com/community/beta-beta-update-release-notes/grab-the-aven-colony-demo-in-the-alienware-indie-game-challenge-next-week-also-beta-0-1-17858-is-now-live/
Recent community posts
Here's a screenshot of Aven Colony on Steam right now. Literally thousands of people are playing it through Steam this way.
Games can be on Steam without necessarily being visible in the Steam Store. Also, it's probably not a good idea to go calling people "idiots" and "human garbage."
fort447, it's difficult for me to fathom how someone can actually believe the things you are posting.
First, you were banned for unnecessarily insulting and offensive comments.
Second, how could we have literally thousands of people playing it on Steam RIGHT NOW, and have announced an upcoming Steam release (along with a simultaneous Xbox One and Playstation 4 release), unless we actually planned to do so?
Here's a screenshot from my own Steam app. See Aven Colony in there, along with the Aven Colony Alienware demo? Are you going to claim I faked this? Why are you throwing out so many insults before attempting to understand what's going on?
As mentioned elsewhere, we've locked off additional sales of the game on all platforms until launch.
If you previously purchased the game on itch.io, you're eligible to claim a Steam key.
To claim your key:
- Log in to itch.io's website ( https://itch.io/ ) using the same account that you used to purchase AvenColony.
- Click on the account drop-down in the upper-right and click "My Purchases"
- Select Aven Colony
- Hit the Downloads button
- On the Download page, press "Get Steam key"
- The following image shows a reference for that: http://avencolony.com/wp-content/uploads/wpforo/default_attachments/1491406477-claiming2.png
This support page on itch.io may also help: https://itch.io/docs/buying/already-bought
Once you've installed the game on Steam, you can find instructions here for copying over your saved game files.
Hello Aven Colony community,
It's come to our attention that itch.io is not properly updating Aven Colony, and update 0.1.17105 is not available on itch.io.
We're working with itch.io support to resolve the situation. In the meantime, you should be able to claim your Steam key if you've previously purchased the game on itch.io. We recommend switching to Steam ASAP as Steam does not have this problem.
- If you have any issues claiming your Steam key, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We've written up instructions for copying saved-game files over to Steam: http://avencolony.com/community/beta-beta-update-release-notes/instructions-for-copying-saved-game-files-from-itch-io-to-steam/
We hope to have this resolved as soon as possible; in the meantime, thank you for your support.
Paul Tozour and the Mothership Entertainment team
Aven Colony has been temporarily removed from sale as we work toward our simultaneous launch on PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 in Q2 of this year, in partnership with Team17.
Our current beta already has plenty of participants, and we've decided the best course of action is to temporarily halt further sales so that additional customers wait for the full game launch.
We will continue to support players who have already bought the game with regular updates between now and launch and will ensure that those who purchased the game through itch.io receive the full version of the game at launch.
Nobody has lost any saves when upgrading - we've gone to a lot of effort to make sure that even saves created with the very first beta will still work in the latest version. That hasn't been easy with some of the bugs that we've fixed! The only person who had problems with updating was because of a bug in the itch.io launcher where it installed the game in a different location rather than updating - and so the game couldn't find the saves.
The only thing that we can't guarantee at the moment is that the release version of the game will support saves from the beta versions of the game - we haven't decided on the right course of action yet. There'd be less potential for future bugs if we dropped support for older saves - but so far it's been fine.
As far as what you can expect... well, we've announced the new Expedition system at GDC this week! It allows players to send out expedition vessels to explore the often hostile surface of mankind's new home. Your expedition vessels will rescue lost explorers, repair crashed vessels, confront splinter groups and rebels, destroy deadly creep spore and plague spore nests, explore ruins, recover artifacts, and fight robot guardians left behind by mysterious ancient civilization that once inhabited Aven Prime.
This will be coming in the next update!
That doesn't sound right, we haven't pushed out an update since Feb 9 - and nobody else has reported losing their saves!
Can you email us at email@example.com and attach your "Saved" folder? You'll find it inside the AvenColony folder wherever the game is installed. We work hard to make sure nobody loses their saves!
Hi Spitty -- Yes, we missed that one. Please accept our apologies; there's currently no way to finish that objective in the beta.
I'm not sure if we'll be able to put out a new build in the next few weeks or not.
In the meantime, that mission objective doesn't keep you from winning the Arido Mesa mission, so you can just ignore it. We've already fixed this locally.
Hi everyone! Just a quick note that we've updated of Aven Colony to 0.1.15703 with a bunch of little bug fixes.
Also see our much larger update from a few days before: http://avencolony.com/community/beta-beta-update-release-notes/build-0-1-15657-february-6/Bug fixes:
- Fixed lots of little issues with Battery Power mode switching off when it shouldn't, failing to keep power zones in balance, and allowing buildings to be turned off
- Energy Batteries no longer automatically switch off until their excess power isn't needed for 45 seconds (or if they run out of power, and then they switch off immediately)
- Updated the Electricity tooltip to indicate when in Battery Power mode
- Fixed a bug where mineral deposits wouldn't state how much iron/copper/etc was in the deposit -- particularly important in Hyla's Crescent, which has low mineral levels
- Fixed tooltip text "Requires N workers" text appearing in red when this should always be white
- Fixed occasional issue with flickering tooltip text on build palette tooltips if a line of text happened to wrap, making it impossible to read
- Potential fix for some cases where game claimed it required the Gear VR plugin to be installed (for the record, we do not currently support VR at any level)
- Intake fans are slightly more effective and the tier 2 upgrade is slightly cheaper
- Made notifications related to Energy Batteries somewhat clearer
- The tooltip for battery power now states why it can't be enabled
- Fixed some cases where the High Crime notification could get spammed
- Added a Stats button and some relevant stats to the "Storage Full" notification
- Fixed some sounds not having the proper audio settings (such as Uros saying "trade with former colony" being too loud)
- Improvements to protesters
- Tons of other small bug fixes
You're the only person to report that error so far, but we're working on a potential fix. We're not sure why you're getting the error, but we'll push out a hotfix shortly that should hopefully fix the problem for you!
Well, we definitely recommend that you do use the itch.io client because that way you'll automatically get the updates whenever we release them.
In theory you could download the ZIP from the website and extract it over the top of your current game - but a much, much better way would be to go to where you currently have the game, go into AvenColony\Saved and move your SaveGames folder somewhere safe. Now delete everything, extract the ZIP, put the SaveGames folder back in the Saved folder (you may have to create it!) and then you'll have a fresh, clean install.
Sorry to hear that!
Could you run dxdiag, save the log and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org please? We have no idea why you're having that problem - but we want to make sure that it's fixed ASAP!
NOTE TO ITCH.IO USERS: This build may take another hour or two to upload to the itch servers from the time of this post -- it will likely post around 8-9 PM CST, USA.
Hi everyone! It's been a while since our last update, so we wanted to give you a new build with some of the many fixes and improvements we've been working on in that time.
We've been busy on some very big new features for Aven Colony. One of the biggest ones isn't even in today's build, and hasn't even been announced! Keep your eyes peeled -- we'll have a big announcement in the next 3-4 weeks.
Also, if you missed our announcement about our partnership with Team17 to bring Aven Colony to Xbox and PS4, click on the link to find out more!
This update brings a ton of improvements and polish to Aven Colony, including a new "boosts" system, a new system for worker prioritization, new enhancers, big improvements to overlays, changes that make the Energy Battery vastly more useful and easier to use, and much, much more.
Full update notes here:
We're sorry to hear that! Are you downloading using the itch.io app? I know it's also possible to download using a web browser but we don't recommend that for the problems that you're seeing!
If you are using the itch.io app and are still having problems, could we please ask that you report the issue you're having here? We don't have any control over downloads - but we want all of our customers to be able to enjoy playing our games!