i liked these!!
Recent community posts
it's a one of a kind physical object, but the software is available here https://github.com/Ragzouken/bitspy (you may need help getting it set up correctly because i didn't document it...) and a brief description of how it's made is here: https://twitter.com/ragzouken/status/941445130292166656
hey i tried to add you on discord (candle) but it didn't go through i think... i can ask here though now i got the details together online:
i'm making an archive + exhibitable hardware player for bitsy games, and i am looking for permission to include your work, three questions here about including and crediting you https://github.com/Ragzouken/bitsy-archive/blob/master/README.md
just to make this a little less ominous, and in hope you return to this account one day, i am asking because i'm making an archive + exhibitable hardware player for bitsy games and am looking for permission to include your work. more details/questions here: https://github.com/Ragzouken/bitsy-archive/blob/master/README.md
get back to me if you're interested! thanks
i'd like to add to this something important i just remembered: it can be very easy to forget you're in playtest mode and all the editors behave very weirdly when that's the case (e.g not permitting changes or other things), it would be good if they could look locked in some way when playtesting
- after creating an exit, and now creating a new one: the destination tile picker doesn't seem to work until you change room in the dropdown and then back again
- room picker dropdown in exit ui doesn't seem to reflect deleted rooms properly, and sometimes shows duplicates
- deleting a tile doesn't update the tile browser properly (not sure if it does nothing, or if it visually removes the wrong tile until you tab in/out again)
- bitsy remembers some ui options, but not that i turned off the screen editor grid, or the colour i set the download game background to be (a nice default would the background color of the first palette!)
- mouse can often just stuck thinking it's held down, so you leave a trail of junk tiles when you move your mouse
- when deleting screens, even if it's not the active one, the actively selected screen seems to jump to another
- can duplicate many things, but not palettes :(
- the page has a fixed height instead of expanding to the full browser (i use the non-itch.io version)
- tile browser doesn't use the full vertical space of the page, and i also wish it were wider (i'm working with ~50 tiles)
- no way to tell which sprite of many copies is in the current screen (could show an id number or something?)
- "add exits" always misleads me, i think i can click on it then click on the map to add a new exit -- but instead i trash the tile i'm clicking on because all i've done is open the exits window
- really wish i could name things, it becomes very hard
- the exits destination picking seems to have some transparency/onion-skinning effect but it's not clear to me which screen it's showing and why
- i wish the dialogue text box was taller when i'm writing more than two lines (or maybe just generally)
- i wish the tile browser had the "add drawing" button rather than the drawing viewer
it's a long list but only because i'm spending so much time in bitsy because i'm enjoying using it so much!!
really good work on the visuals, they're great :D
depth perception is haaard, maybe you could make it more obvious with some kind of beam of light coming down vertically from the player, with an obvious effect for when it's touching the surface?
this seems much harder than the usual sokoban-likes - which is no bad thing!
it's visually amazing for the limitations of puzzlescript - you even managed to make a nice looking player character somehow
i don't know if anyone reads itch.io forums, but in case you do:
i would like to hear what you think would be interesting additions to smooltool beyond improvements to the basic drawing and interface
i'm thinking about adding simple music editing, more interesting interactions in the world (doors, signs, teleporters, etc), npcs and critters
what do you think
after a long break, i'm ready to work on this again!
gonna leave some notes here for myself, but also if anyone actually uses itch community stuff you can chime in with suggestions too
- respawn the player at the start tile instead of restarting the game if they erase the tile they are on? maybe that accidental permadeath is important??
- more contrast between bg & paths?
- make copy a more useful program
- more control / predictability over the virus? would be better if it was less pure luck