In 10 floors I received almost only "heal"/"remove-die" options, no "upgrade" option, and the "new dice" below floor 10 you receive only weak dice. I learned later, the best option is to restart if you don't get many upgrade options until room 10.
That's exactly what I suspected, the game only allows few strategies. For example, it's impossible to win the game just by choosing/receive new dice and heal, without upgrades or removing dice.
I managed to finish the game with some regularity, but always following a strict strategy, which doesn't allow much improvisation and rely a lot on luck on receive upgrades and really useful new dice:
- deck size 8 or 9
- start upgrade 2 attacks to max
- then upgrade 2 defense and 2 boost while trying remove 1 boost and 1 attack
- restart if you dont have 2 attacks max when reach floor 8
- new dice only after floor 10 (remove old dice after receive a good one)
- heal only if no better option
edit: I loved that game played 20+ hours, but the situations like the first screenshot are really frustating