I had meant to include more regular updates--oops!
Well, the game is finished now. You can find it here: http://docjekyll.itch.io/monstrous-mixtures
The source code is also available here: https://github.com/jhnsnc/js48-1
As is typical with game jams, there were so many features I had to cut as the deadline drew closer.
What was different for me though was the type of work. Normally for game jams I try to choose a game concept that will allow me to split my time between art and coding. For this project, I was working on coding/game design basically the entire time. I ended up not having a truly playable prototype until about 36 hours in (while I normally aim for ugly, working prototype by 8 hours), so I was very nervous.
The biggest problem with it right now in terms of gameplay is balance. The underlying concepts are good, but I just didn't have enough time to get a really good handle on how easy/hard it will feel for other players.
There are also some technical problems. Some of the bitmap/texture manipulation I'm doing doesn't seem to work on certain browsers. In the best cases, this just means the floor texture might be missing. In the worst case, it might mean a giant black rectangle covers the entire playable area. >_<
Anyway, comments are welcome!