This is an extremely late reply, but I ran into the same thing - until I saw this thread I thought it was an issue with my text rendering code :p
I was able to get the spacing looking a bit more like what I'd expect by following these steps:
- Open the font in FontForge
- Go to Element -> Font Info -> OS/2 -> Metrics
- Lower the descent values to your personal taste (0 - 200 looks okay in my opinion), paying attention to which ones are positive/negative
- Go to File -> Generate Fonts
- Select TrueType for the file format, and generate it
I have no idea if this is the 'right' way to change the line height (I know absolutely nothing about fonts...) but it seemed to work for me!
Hopefully this helps if someone else has the same question.