Great game, but I need some help running it in Ubuntu as I use it as my main OS.
for some reason after I download the .gz pack and extract the file, I can't run it as software. It shows the archive manager as default program, and after I tried to run it thought the terminal i got an error.
Am I doing anything wrong? I'd appreciate some help
Hello! I'd probably suggest taking the file you unpacked and rename it to add the .tar.gz extension in the end. It should be able to open then.
The good news is that worked! Thanks for the suggestion.
The bad news is I still can't run the game. I found out what happens is a segmentation fault when I run the executable it with the terminal.
This is the output I got with gdb:
Starting program: /home/guilherme/jogos/Monolith-demo5-linux/runner
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
* YoYo Games Linux Runner V1.3 *
CommandLine: -game game.unx
MemoryManager allocated: 1723148
GAMEPAD: Initialising Ubuntu support
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 4
GAMEPAD: Enumerating 3
GAMEPAD: device name Microntek USB Joystick
GAMEPAD: buttons - 12, axes - 6
Display Size(Pixels): 1920,1080
[New Thread 0xf2e85b40 (LWP 4199)]
[New Thread 0xf264bb40 (LWP 4200)]
[New Thread 0xf1e4ab40 (LWP 4201)]
Got Doublebuffered Visual!
Icon: w=64 h=64
Congrats, you have Direct Rendering!
sync = 0
**** GLX Extensions ***
GLX_ARB_create_context GLX_ARB_create_context_profile GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_MESA_query_renderer GLX_MESA_swap_control GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_OML_sync_control GLX_SGI_make_current_read GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap GLX_INTEL_swap_event GLX_EXT_buffer_age
Checking for GLX_EXT_swap_control
Checking for GLX_SGI_swap_control
OpenGL: version string 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3
OpenGL: vendor string X.Org
OpenGL GLSL: version string 1.30
Thread 4 "si_shader:1" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0xf1e4ab40 (LWP 4201)]
0x08320f6f in ?? ()
#0 0x08320f6f in ?? ()
#1 0x08321c34 in operator new(unsigned int) ()
#2 0xf34824d5 in llvm::Function::BuildLazyArguments() const () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-4.0.so.1
#3 0xf343d999 in LLVMGetParam () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-4.0.so.1
#4 0xf688cf93 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#5 0xf688d3a7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#6 0xf689c10b in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#7 0xf68af8ec in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#8 0xf661001b in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
#9 0xf7c7a2f5 in start_thread () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
#10 0xf773f6de in clone () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
I don't know if that's a problem with GameMaker executables in general, but I managed to run other GameMaker projects on Ubuntu in the past, so that's pretty strange.
Can confirm this issue, segfault on startup with very similar output. Happened also with Demo 4, older demos of Monolith and other GameMaker titles work fine.
I did some testing and it seems to only affect certain AMD cards (namely those using RadeonSI, so HD7000 series and newer). Trying with RX480, HD6450, Nvidia GT710 and software rendering all on the same system, the game only fails to start with RX480.
With some trial and error I've found a workaround, starting the game with the environment variable R600_DEBUG=mono seems to work for me. Alternatively you could try official drivers from AMD if your card is still supported. If all else fails you can try to force software rendering with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1, although it'll probably be too slow to play.
W-whoa. Nice work there man.
I actually did some more testing and got some rather nonsensical results. Just setting R600_DEBUG=vs,ps makes the game run, even though all that should do is make the driver print debug info on the vertex and pixel shaders. Another similar option that works is R600_DEBUG=check_vm. Yet enabling some other options at the same time breaks it again.
I honestly have no idea what's causing this, or why the different debug options work. If you guys can test the issue with the relevant hardware and see if it can be worked around, that would be great. Older demos used to work without a hitch.
As a side note, I meant to report this back during DD13 already but forgot amidst all the other demos, sorry about that.
/\ THIS GUY DESERVES AN AWARD