Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Lore Anxiety

A topic by Wayne Snee created Nov 10, 2021 Views: 402 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

In my text-based game, I was writing today on why the Gangrel left the Camarilla, and I had kind of a panic. The information from v5 Anarch p. 194 Loresheet omits and contradicts a lot of the stuff I remember from v20: Leopold w/Eye of Hazimel. I don't want to lose points for not adhering to the world. I'm afraid if I go with either version I'm leaving something out. Please help. What should I do?

Host(+1)

Does your game have a particular, singular Gangrel protagonist? If it's a personal story of why said Gangrel (and their sire/coterie) left the Cam, you can frame it in any way you want. Or if it's a story said from the perspective of a single Gangrel, they could have a very different idea on what actually happened to what is "canon". In V5 clans are not a singular entities, members have different opinions, both political and historical, and approach Kindred history individually. Not all Tremere will even know about Salubri/Saulot, not all Salubri will know about Tremere, not all Brujah will align with the Anarchs, etc. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Hmm, my game is about an Autarkis Gangrel coterie that manages cattle ranches and border crossings for the Circulatory System. They're running into trouble from Sabbat fleeing north from the S.I. in Mexico City: vitae-meth, mass embrace, Vanguard.

I think what you described is the best way to handle it, only I don't think it will work for my scene. PC's mentor trying to explain the bigger world, especially re: Gangrel: Rudi, Xaviar--I know, I didn't do myself any favors. Need to seed divergent POVs for different ending paths: Camarilla, Anarch, Autarkis, Sabbat. Guess I should just treat anything not in the new v5 bookset as unknown or untrue? But I've already had 2 playtesters (lore diehards) call me out.

Host(+1)

Please don't mind "lore diehards" - every mentor in World of Darkness has their own agenda and their own world view. Beckett wasn't fully objective, neither was Smiling Jack, and your Gangrel doesn't have to be, either. The view on Rudi, Xaviar etc. can be inspired by the book, but doesn't have to be 1:1. 

In general, yes - best to base heavy lore bits only on the new book, but again, subjective narrators are totally a thing and we're cool with that! 

Submitted

I posted this on Discord too, but am reposting it here just in case:

I made a text-based game with ChoiceScript. I can embed images as subroutines using CSIDE, but it isn't compatible with outside JS, meaning I'd have to do so without a save feature. This is bad bc my game's average playthrough is about 3hrs. 

Can I include the Dark Pack logo as a screenshot on my game's page and include just the text in the game itself? Or do I have to forgo a save feature to include the actual logo on the first page of the game. So sorry to bother.

(1 edit) (+1)

According to this.... Advanced Choicescript - Choice of Games LLC  All you need to do is create an image in your game's directory and just put in the right tags? CS should just parse it as long as its in the same directory as your other game files? According to the rules of the JAM that logo must be included so hopefully you get this figured out!  Might want to create a new thread though for any followup questions or hoping for response for a clearer response to this question since it isn't related to Lore.

Submitted

Outstar got back to me (right away!) on Discord and said, because it's a text-based game, I can include the Dark Pack logo image on the game page. I feel bad about it, so I'm going to embed the HTML into the web page, rather than make the game downloadable. Then, I can include the image in the sidebar which will frame the game the entire time. Since the game will only be playable through that viewport, it should suffice since, in this case, the sidebar is more or less part of the game. And, if the issue is immediacy or viewability, it will be more persistent than one early plug.

Normally, you'd be right re: Choicescript, except that I altered the code to include a persistent save state (hard save, not soft) so that the game can be picked up again in later sessions. Or so people can try different story branches for achieves or deep regret. I can try to zip in the logo and text if, after they see it, the sidebar isn't enough. I'll post early so they can let me know. Cheers! Thanks for the thoughtful response.