Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Vive/XR Interaction Toolkit

A topic by OneUglyMug created Apr 30, 2020 Views: 355 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Hello all hope your all doing well.

So the last few weeks I've been trying to learn unity, C# and messing around with VR. I've been relying on using SteamVR. I'm a little confused as to what I should do. Currently as you know the XR Interaction Toolkit doesnt support Vive (which is the only product I own)

If I press forward using SteamVR will it mean that people other than Vive users wont be able to check out anything I make for the gamejam? As I said I am still rather new to all of this and searching on google is not really giving me anything in the realm of usefull information regarding this. I can't currently use the XR Interaction Toolkit which seems to be the go to standard for unity now so what would I do being limited to using a Vive to develop on. If I stick with openvr/SteamVR will other users that have different headsets be able to run my application or would I have to make it using XR Interaction Toolkit and somehow try and figure out how to get it to work myself with Vive.

I apologise if I'm not making to much sense my brain is frazzled out looking into this for the last few hours. Stress is a killer. Also sorry if I'm not ment to post stuff like this here feel free to remove it if not.

Submitted

SteamVR supports the majority of headsets available on the market currently. This includes any Vive, Oculus (minus Quest I believe), or WMR headset, as well as the Index. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

(+1)

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/releases/tag/2.6.0b1

Its still beta but the Valve guys just released openvr>unityxr plugin. This should help!

Jam HostSubmitted (1 edit)

You can still use OpenVR headsets with the Interaction Toolkit. All you need to use is the deprecated VR settings. It's what I primarily do right now. 

At the end of this video it show you how to do that.

Thank you.  I actually just stumbled on both of these a few mins ago beleive it or not and was just about to delete the thread xD

Still very much appreaciated though. I am to hasty with asking obvious questions >_>