Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

About honesty in the development time

A topic by Grisgram created Jul 24, 2022 Views: 112 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

This is my first TriJam, so please forgive me, if this has been discussed a thousand times (it probably has!)

I really enjoyed the challenge of such a tough timeframe, but when submitting, it is a free text box, where you can enter whatever you want. So it is not very surprising, that most entries have (how close!) exactly 3 hours dev time in their answer, because only then one is qualified to battle for first place.

So, yes, I could have entered 3 hours, but i preferred to be honest, and entered a bit more than 3 hours + a bit time for assets - because that’s the truth.

At the same time, i disqualified myself for the race to the first place.

So the question is: How can you proof, that the dev time was really below 3 hours? If you can’t, then the rule “only 3 hours or less may qualify for first place” makes no sense, because everybody enters 3 hours then, and all is good.

That’s my thoughts as a newcomer in this jam.

cheers!

Submitted(+1)

Well personally i dont see why someone would lie , the three hours  dev time  is to challenge ourselves (Happened to me last jam trijam, even though i ended first  , did more than three hours ) , 
The win for me is mostly in experience , i learned a lot , specially in spending more time planning  before starting .
I can see your point though 

Submitted (1 edit)

Of course - I prefer honesty over a ranking anytime, but I have learned in the 50 years I already spent on this planet, that not so many people have the same mindset, or a in any means compatible one ;-)

I just thought about that sentence in the rules - a rule that can not be enforced but at the same time is a K.O. criteria is … something we should talk about (just my 2 cent).

Jam Host

The incentive to cheat is quite weak. The jam takes place every week and the value of winning one isn't that high. If you would look at the hall of fame, the names change quite a bit, so there doesn't seem to be anyone who is going out of their way to keep winning at all cost. Last year we had a rating "time", if developed within 3 hours, you'd get 5 stars, more time, lower rating. This imho was a good system, but sometimes people would rate games made in less than 3 hours with less than 5 stars, which was confusing and even upsetting to some developers. So instead, this year we went back to the original system that we had at the start. We will do a survey closer to the end of the year to see if the community is happy with this system to determine how we should go forward like we did last year (people voted for the current way of choosing the winner). Overall, the biggest winners are those who focus on their craft and improve as developers. You can see that looking at devs who participate regularly and how much their work improves! :)

If you have suggestions how to improve the jam you are more than welcome to share your ideas! 

Submitted (1 edit)

Thanks for the insights - as I said, I am new, I didn’t know, what was in place last year here.

So, if you think this is not an invitation to self-betrayal (the only one losing, when cheating the time, is the author of the game), then it is all good! Just newcomer-thoughts.

As for self-improvement.. You are sooo right! I started jamming lately (this is my 4th Jam - and my 3rd submission, missed one jam due to technical problems), and I didn’t believe before, but YES - I am improving immense with every tiny project i start!

I am developer since over 30 years, almost 40 … my first program was published in 1984, and now, when I get older, I finally have the time to do what I wanted to do my entire developer-life: write games! It’s incredible, how much one learns by doing (and completing, submitting) to a jam.

Thank you for hosting this week after week! Cheers, Gris