Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Settings for itch.io

A topic by Garry Francis created Feb 21, 2020 Views: 165 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

Once again, Adventuron's weird scaling is driving me mad. I am extending the two theme (only colours and system text) and I have not made any changes to the screen display settings. I've created a new project in itch.io using the recommendations in the Adventuron CaveJam from last year. My title screen is 320 by 240. That's a 4:3 aspect ration, which I thought was pretty reasonable. When the game initially runs, the title screen fills the browser window. If the browser window is maximised, the bottom of the title screen (in my case, the part with the game title) is chopped off. If the browser window is restored, I can resize it to (say) half the screen width so that I can see the whole of the title screen. Why isn't Adventuron automatically restricting the resizing of the title screen so that it is fully contained within the browser window? It looks like it is only taking the width into account and ignoring the height.

When I click the mouse, the game changes to full screen, i.e. no window frame or borders or title bar or menu bar. The game is then unusable, as the screen is too wide. The 8x8 image in the separator is disproportionately large compared to the 16x16 font used for the text. The spacing above and below the status bar is different to what it was when using the editor and now looks unbalanced.

I then tried embedding it in the page using a 640x480 iframe. This time, itch.io screwed it up by adding extra padding at the top and chopping it off at the right. When I clicked to get past the title screen, it ignored the itch.io settings and jumped to full screen. (I think this is an Adventuron setting.) Once again, unusable, so I pressed Escape to get back to the embedded mode and itch.io had chopped it off at the right so that the score in the status bar was truncated. By resizing the window, I was able to fix the truncated iframe at the point where the page's screen grab disappeared.

I then tried 320x240 (as this was the size of the title screen. This time, the image fitted horizontally, but the extra padding at the top and the addition of an unnecessary horizontal scroll bar caused the bottom of the image to be chopped off. Click to get to the text screen and the text was ridiculously big and the separator was tiny with the image partially repeated at the bottom!

When I tried it on my mobile phone, my custom separator did not appear at all, but reverted to the single red line from the two theme. I also noticed that my beeped music sounds absolutely awful on mobile. The notes are higher and the timing is all wrong compared to the desktop version. In addition, the default bright blue (colour 9) that looks fine on the desktop is far too dark to read on mobile, so I'll have to change the colours.

I thought my game was finished and looking very polished, but when deployed to itch.io, it looks like crap on both desktop and mobile. Any suggestions for title screen image size and other display settings that will work universally where the TWO theme fails me?

Submitted

Forgot to mention that at various points, there were chunks out of the status bar where the border is, prompt was somtimes obscured and game stopped responding to any keystrokes whatsoever - full screen or embedded.

Where's the setting to prevent it opening full screen?

Submitted

I meant the setting in Adventuron.

Host

It's a big subject, so best to send me some supporting source code that demonstrates it.

The custom separator bit needs some expertise in configuring and possible there are bugs too.

Send me your file so I can investigate.

info@adventuron.io

Submitted

You're welcome to the whole file, but perhaps have a play with it first. It's at https://warrigal.itch.io/igors-quest. Password is 'Fritz'.

You can certainly see some of the obvious things, including the separator bug on mobile phones. In the meantime, I'll experiment with image sizes and settings for the itch.io page.

Host

I agree the blue text colour looks bad on mobile, but I'd also say it looks kind of bad on desktop too. Hard to read against a black background.

The seperator not working on mobile, I'll investigate.

The font size is way way too small on mobile. Please use columns_mobile in your theme settings. It may be that the font you are using is lying in its metadata, check to see that your columns_mobile prference approximately matches the number of columns, if it doesn't there is a anyway to correct lying fonts.

The title screen, I'm.checking that out now.

Host

Ignoring what looks to be a very nice game and game concept.

I agree, with these settings, the game looks really bad on Itch.

Adventuron is meant to be played in full screen mode on Itch, rather than the tiny display window they give you otherwise. Off Itch, you can play in a browser, so the recommendation is always to test your game in full screen mode. I really need to see your theme settings, and I'll mess about myself.

Rest assured, I can see the problem now, so I will provide you with the config changes or bugfixes you need.

Submitted

Source code sent.

In the meantime, can you answer the unanswered question about full screen mode. Every time I open an Adventuron game in full screen, the first thing I do is press Escape and resize the browser window to a comfortable viewing size. I'm sure I've seen a setting somewhere where you can override this default behaviour. If I set itch.io to open full screen, it does the right thing and just maximises the browser window, but as soon as you get past the title screen, Adventuron overrides this and sets it to full screen. That's fine for mobile, but it's definitely NOT fine for desktop, especially when you have a really wide screen.

On the subject of the tiny font on mobile, I initially assumed the default 8x8, but the font was tiny on desktop, so I changed it to 16x16 (as the font was downloaded from http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/, where the design grid is 16x16. This looks good on desktop, but it's tiny on mobile. I'm looking at the font's metadata using https://fontdrop.info/. What properties should I be looking for where you said the font may be "lying in its metadata"? This might give me an idea about the correct font width to use and number of columns to use for mobile.

I've just been dabbling with the font size again. In retrospect, the 8x8 font was tiny because of Adventuron's weird scaling. It opens full screen by default and the font is tiny. When you press Escape to get rid of full screen and resize the browser window, the font gets bigger. So the bigger the screen, the smaller the font. Go figure.