Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A few more details on the sprites limitations.

A topic by Kuranyem created Feb 04, 2022 Views: 166 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(1 edit) (+1)

Unless I missed them, I'm still a bit confused about a few points :

- CAPTAIN NEAT-O being double the size of everything else, does it mean that we can scale (up) the tile sprites? Otherwise I'm unsure which tiles we can use with him. (Edit: Correction I did see some files, didn't process them in my brain at the time of typing. But still curious about scaling sprites)

- Considering that the sprites were intended for the Pico engine, are other engines required to follow the same screen resolution? I suppose not but maybe you as the host would rather see the games a bit more standardized on that end?

- And last, since there are sprites from TB2 in there I'm not sure if it means that we're allowed to use any sprites that came out from the previous Toy Boy Jams?

Other than that, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Host(+1)

1. There are small 8x8 Neat-O ones too, but I guess you saw that later.

HARDCORE: You cannot manually draw any sprites to "make them bigger".  You can SSPR them, or simply DOUBLE sprites in both directions, not adding any new information.
EASY: Manually sizing up platforming type tiles is okay for use with Neat-O, but you might just double them and wait a few days... ahem....

2. Not 128x128, but they have to use the chunky pixel sprites, so might 2x, 3x, 4x scale them.  No need to adhere to 128x128 if not in Pico-8. 

3. You can use anything in the files.  The original jam was one sheet but I did add some with the ARG.  I've just been adding more as I go. I may add a SUPER HARDCORE that only allows use of the new set of gfx, but then I need to make a for-sure decent one-sheet that is great.  Even though there are more gfx, the spirit is that you just use one spritesheet even if you cobble it together.  

I hope that answers a few things!

(+1)

Even though there are more gfx, the spirit is that you just use one spritesheet even if you cobble it together

So no runtime decoding to swap sprites! Good to clarify.

Host

Update: there are some more  platforming tiles to pick and choose from now!  See the FILES directory.