Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Procedural Maps vs Custom Maps

A topic by ScienceJ created Dec 17, 2019 Views: 170 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 4

So I am quite curious, what is your perception on procedural maps vs custom map?

I have my idea, now deciding if I want to make an actual story or do an never ending story... mmm.... The choices...

Which one do you think would be more interesting to the player?

HostSubmitted

I'm a fan of both approaches, but the important thing to remember is procedural doesn't mean "set and forget." It often requires at least as much (if not more) design versus a handcrafted experience, since you still want to ensure every experience is quality.

So, really depends on whether that extra mile of *controlled* procedural generation will add something to the game.

I was thinking of something that would be quite perfect for this game Jam, as it is text adventure with D&D theme... And feel free to use this if you can implement it as I would love to see this done, if I can not get it in time myself.

Keep it simple, you don't need graphics, so no need for large maps or custom dungeons or stuff, simple "walking down a straight line" is good enough... 

You get one of 4 encounters as you travel, Monster, Civilian, Ally, Risk.

You have a simple "fight" or "flee" scene when encountering Monsters.

Their stats grow as you go down the path. Civilians offers you "missions", so you keep traveling down path, with options to do various things. Your goal is to reach the castle and save the princess, guarded by vicious dragons. You need good weapons and stats to kill them. You gain this by taking quests and killing monsters.

When you "accept" a quest from a civilian, you go down another path until it is completed, or you "flee". Everything you flee, you lose the opportunity, Risks can be a treasure or a trap... never know... But I feel for this there should be some sort of pattern... Or at least a 50% pattern.... That be cool.... Kinda predicable for the smarter people... Allies gives you a change to upgrade your weapons and skills... But it costs....

Thing I have not thought about, or decided.

Battle system. One hit per turn, you can flee, use a heal potion if any is available or "Hit" the enemy.... Have not quite figured out the UI for this yet, but for this adventure game it could prove difficult? 

Food, Drink, Weapon, Shield, Health Potions. These are the items for your inventory... Keep it simple. Should you get hungry and thirsty along the way tho? or would this make the game too difficult?

Use of locations names? I say use location names to make it more personal and adaptable

I am hoping to give this a shot, but not sure if I will get to it.