Jobs
Tags

Work in progress

A topic by psychopsam created Oct 20, 2016 Views: 727 Replies: 24
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted

I started this so people can post their works in progress on the Spooky Jam2

Submitted (4 edits) (+1)

So here's my idea. I like the cute characters in Monster House and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Also the music from the Nightmare section of Pinball Dreams is another inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMC-vxcF4c

As the monster you own the house ( think Dungeon Keeper ). At first a lone kid enters looking for the treasure. Using pathfinding the kid will move through the house to collect the treasure then escape. If any loot is taken the level is lost. You have a range of ways to stop this from happening. Scaring, traps, blocks (to delay - lock the door), divert (open a door and offer something better than the treasure to lure them) and attacks. You are corporeal (ghost) for most of the time and move things around, but you can manifest in physical form to do physical attacks only when you have sapped enough fear from the kid. Rinse and repeat for each new level, but the difficultly is introduced by adding more kids at the same time, more treasure to lose (any 1 loss of treasure is a fail) and any kids who survived a previous level gets a +1 against fear next time, making them harder to scare.

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

Hey Mauro - thanks for the offer. Go for it :D I'll try send a playable sequence in the next couple of days.

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

Okay I'll think about it as I go.

HostSubmitted

This is a really cool idea! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Hi, we are playing around with a street scene in which kids are trick or treating. As a monster you are not after the candy, but after the kids!. Here's what we've got so far: WIP, you are the monster

Submitted

Looking nice so far. Great lighting!

Dang, that is some nice 3D art going on there. The crows flying around is a nice touch.

I love the art style you have going on looking at your other videos.

If you need music for this, let me know! I'd be happy to help.

HostSubmitted

Oh wow, this looks great so far!!

Deleted 1 year ago
(3 edits)

Another sneak preview of what we got so far:.

Submitted

Awww they look so cute and cuddly :D Love the lighting and DOF

Submitted

Here's an update on my game. In this video the npc enters the monsters home looking for treasure. The AI selects the closest next room to search. Once it's been there it doesn't consider it worth entering again and looks for the next closest unvisited room. When it finds the treasure it steals it and heads out. The skulls above it's head are scare points. You need to scare it to avoid losing your treasure. More to come. Youtube -> WIP NPC Actions 1

Deleted 1 year ago
(1 edit)

The concept of this sound really fun and the gameplay looks promising already; looking forward to seeing more!

Submitted (1 edit)

@Mauro I'll get you a playable demo hopefully by Saturday night my time. Where are you? I'm in West Australia so I think we are ahead of everyone in time. Will it help it I put a mute in there? I'm not sold on the sounds I'm putting in there - they are placeholder for you to do something better :D

Deleted 1 year ago
HostSubmitted

Oh nice!!!

Submitted (3 edits)

Here's a shot of the first scare. It's a promotional shot - you don't normally look at it the game this way, but the spider hides in the corner, and you press the scare button to turn the light on. If the NPC sees it, they pause, shriek and lose a life point. If they have seen it before they make a comment like "I've seen that - that's not scary".

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

Just saw this now. Will have a go with it tonight. I want to give you a version with all the features in it as soon as I can so you can prepare the sounds.

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

Hey this sounds great and much like an homage to the original. But how do I download it?

Deleted 1 year ago
Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted (1 edit)

Sorry - was stuck on the AI for days. Here's a web build for everyone to try... it's dead easy to lose - so it's just for testing at the moment.

WEBGL: (Scare not working - not sure why)

WebGL version

MAC: (scare bug - press Esc to quit) EDIT: Scare bug fixed

Mac version (zip compressed)

PC: (scare bug - press Esc to quit) EDIT: Scare bug fixed

PC Version

You play by using the arrow keys to move around the rooms.

Press the Scare button to scare the kids (bugged only on WebGL at the moment) - it times out for a while - and makes a dud sound until enabled again.

If they all escape with treasure you lose.

If any are scared out without treasure you win.

Press the Materialise button to try the FPS mode (mouse and keys) - not fully implemented yet - and press Hide to jump back to top down mode - in the mode you are the ghost - but you can't do anything right now - later you will be able to scream and throw things around to scare them - or get enough scare points and you can become solid and slash them - this is the next step.

@Mauro - will add you sounds in the next build but your music has been added :D

Submitted

The bugs been fixed - I'll update the previous post when I've uploaded the changes.

Submitted

PC and Mac version have bug fixed - download again for version where scare button works.

HostSubmitted

I'm loving all these work in progress updates!!! Hopefully I'll have one of my own to show soon :)

Submitted

@Mauro Hey - I need a monster roar/growl and swish for when the monster slashes at the player please.

Deleted 1 year ago
Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

Awesome thanks.

Submitted

@Mauro - I managed to get your roar in and the music. I didn't have time to do the footsteps or even implement the doors. Thanks so much for your help :D Got to the Entries page and try it out!