Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Thank you, this was a great experience!

A topic by Goldlocke created Sep 24, 2021 Views: 115 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted

First of all, congratulations on a well-deserved victory to Benny and many thanks to marshoepial for hosting this event!

I had a lot of fun creating my submission and equally enjoyed checking out and playing the other entries, each of which I feel was an accomplishment on its own.
Despite the number of entries, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of genres and ideas presented.

My own entry fell well short of my ambitions, I'd originally planned a game with 8 worlds, a map, cutscene-driven story and many magic moments. In the end, I had to reduce my daily sleep cycle to 4 hours just to be able to meet the deadline and have something at least resembling a somewhat coherent game (Due to scheduling conflicts, my personal deadline was a few days earlier than the official one).

What I found disappointing from a personal point of view was the lack of participation by established members of the snesdev community.

Torte00 is a newcomer, I'd consider Benny to be a relatively new member and I don't know anything about cand. Maybe he's been involved in the community, but released under a new pseudonym like myself.
I understand it's just a hobby and not everyone can find the time to participate and that's absolutely fine.

But if we want to expand and reinvigorate the snesdev-community (lofty aspirations I remember being voiced on the nesdev.com-Forums prior to the Jam), I think we have to lead by example and to show others that this can be a positive place where creators and their productions are valued.

Time and motivation aside, what kept you from releasing a game this time? Lack of resources/documentation/example code? Maybe we can improve the situation for the next iteration.

In conclusion, I'm really happy with the games released within this Jam, I hope we sent a positive signal, garnered some attention and laid the groundwork for future SNESDEV Game Jams!

Thanks again to everybody who made this happen!

(1 edit)

I cannot answer the question, but i love the idea of a 'next iteration'.

A big 'THANK YOU' to all participants for their cool projects. I would still love a multi-cart with all the JAM-games on it. Maybe the possibility to have your own game on a SNES-JAM-202X-cart would even motivate some more developers for the next round?