Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

pre-existing universes allowed?

A topic by misiflight created Jul 11, 2023 Views: 100 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(+1)

hey! the wording was slightly unclear, so i'd just like to know before i join - is it alright to do something in, say, the star wars universe/using sw5e or something as my model? the rules said that it needed to be 'original', i was just unclear as to whether that meant original universe entirely or just original content. 

thanks so much! sorry if this is a silly question, it's/it would be my first try at one of these! 

HostSubmitted

Good question! “Originality” merely applies to the scenario’s content, not the universe/setting. You’re free to set it in a pre-existing universe. For last year’s contest, we had people use the settings for The Expanse and two published Traveller settings.

Unrelated to the contest, but do be careful when writing adventures for other people’s IP (especially if money is involved). Star Wars 5e is constantly in danger of litigation from Lucasfilm/Disney. While I think the actual risk is low, you should still be careful.

(+1)

awesome, thank you for the clarification, and for the advice! with that in mind, i think i'll definitely give making a contribution a shot! (both on the basis of likely quality of the end product, and just as a precaution against litigation, it'll probably be free/i'll make sure to add the appropriate disclaimers/creative commons, etc. again - i super appreciate the advice!) 

HostSubmitted (2 edits)

Glad to hear. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Looking at SW5e, I noticed they didn’t have any licensing or disclaimers - not even an OGL declaration. I am not a lawyer, but I recommend you use a simple disclaimer. That, combined with the price of “free,” should keep the House of Mouse off your back.

I do recommend you avoid Creative Commons license for this one, since that grants powers to derivative works you likely don’t have the authority to.

(+1)

gotcha! thanks for the advice - like i stated, i haven't really done anything like this before. i'll just go for a simple disclaimer then, thanks! (i might not even use sw5e/might go for a basic system similar to the one my friends use, i just think its a neat example.) thank you again for all your help/clarification!